Case Western’s Cancer-focused Undergraduate Research (CanSUR) program is now accepting applications. This is a summer, undergraduate program which will give 32 students the opportunity to work with Case Comprehensive Cancer Center (CaseCCC) researchers during a 10 week period.
This program will prepare undergraduates for careers in cancer research, providing training in subjects such as:
- Cancer Genetics
- Cancer Cell Signaling
- Experimental Therapeutics
- Cancer Prevention and Epidemiology
The program also includes:
- Hands on research
- Interactive cancer research lectures
- An opportunity to present project at CanSUR Scholar Symposium
- $4,000 stipend and potential housing/travel allowance
The deadline to apply is January 14, 2022. A flyer can be found here with more information. More details, as well as the application portal can be found on their website.
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education will be hosting a virtual career fair on Thursday, November 18 from 12 to 3 p.m. This event will allow students to learn about Department of Defense fellowship and internship opportunities. The goal of ORISE in partnership with the DoD, is to optimize the science and technology workforce through research to assist in the DoD’s mission. This event is a great way to learn about DoD internships and fellowships and become familiar with the opportunities available.
Students will be able to:
- Learn about paid internships
- Talk with mentors and staff about open opportunities
- Learn about DoD facilities and research
- Talk 1-on-1 with ORISE representatives about applications
Students can register leading up to the event, here.
For questions please reach out via email.
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) is hosting a research-based challenge for undergraduate students! The challenge is for students to develop a website on plastic recycling. Students will research their schools’ current process for recycling plastic and then design/create a strategy to make the process more efficient. Thorough submissions will include further research on the plastic recycling process, benefits of current recycling methods, and process improvement ideas. Your website could win you a $5,000 scholarship!
The deadline for this competition is Tuesday, November 30, 2021, and winners will be announced in late December.
- 1st place: $5,000 scholarship
- 2nd place: $3,000 scholarship
- 3rd place: $1,000 scholarship
Visit this page to learn more about the competition. If you have any questions, you can contact STEMEd@orau.org.
Offered in Spring 2022.
Dr. Nicole Karn
1 credit hour
Chem 2990: Introduction to Chemical Research is a seminar course focusing on the development of professional skills, conducting literature searches, writing research papers, and exploring careers and research options.
- Improve research skills
- Hone writing skills
- Meet chemistry faculty
Prereq: CHEM 1220, 1620, or 1920H, and English 1110
PPG Specialty Synthesis Group is seeking an entry-level Research Chemist for their process development team located in Monroeville, PA. The research chemist’s principal responsibility is developing a robust synthesis and purification method for novel OLED emitters.
- Develop scalable synthetic processes for OLED emitters that are reproducible and cost effective through a thorough scientific approach.
- Evaluate the synthesis for new emitters as they are identified. Provide samples using a commercially feasible synthetic strategy.
- Advance technology used in the laboratory to improve process development understanding and reduce cycle times (EasyMax/Optimax, EasyViewer).
- Analyze and interpret analytical results and make process changes as necessary.
- Provide support for scale up of new products by technicians in both a kilo lab and plant setting.
- Help support existing commercial as well as pre-commercial and developmental products.
- Support the use of quality tools (critical thinking, DOE, statistical analysis etc.) as applicable in the development of new processes.
- Hands-on laboratory experiments using common chemistry equipment and instruments (HPLC, UPLC, GC).
- Effectively communicates within the work team and provides clear and concise documentation of technical results.
- Works in a safe manner. Reads, understands and follows all pertinent SOPs.
- B.S. in Chemistry.
- Entry level, no industry experience required.
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) is hosting a hands-on challenge for undergraduate students! The challenge is for students to research healthy habits for good mental health; commit to one healthy habit for 21 days; and develop either an infographic or podcast detailing the research and experience. The infographic or podcast should discuss your healthy habit and why other students should (or should not) use your method to better their own mental health. Your infographic or podcast could win you a $5,000 scholarship!
The deadline for submitting your entry to this competition is Wednesday, March 31, 2021. Winners will be announced in late April.
For more information on this competition, please visit the ORISE website or view the flyer.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) participates in the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)’s Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) program. The SULI program is now accepting applications for Summer 2021. The deadline to apply is January 12, 2021, at 5 p.m. ET.
Summer research interns spend 10 weeks at ORNL engaged in a research project under the guidance of a laboratory scientist or engineer. Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities.
Selected students receive a stipend of $600 per week during the internship period. Housing information will be provided to interns prior to arrival at the host laboratory. In general, housing opportunities will vary from laboratory to laboratory. An allowance is available for participants placed at host laboratories that are unable to offer direct housing arrangements. Visit the program website for more information.
Want to jump start your search for the right research program? Check out this listing of programs that have recently reached out to CBC students.
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) and Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) currently have over 700 fellowship, internship, and career opportunities available for STEM students. ORISE develops solutions to strengthen the nation’s competitive advantage in science. ORAU is a network of more than 120 universities that seeks to connect people and resources to help solve the nation’s most challenging issues.
You may check out ORISE opportunities here and ORAU opportunities here.
The American Chemical Society is currently accepting applications for the 2021 International Research Experiences for Students (IRES) program. This program is seeking applicants who are interested in exploring chemistry and chemical engineering research in an international setting. ACS is working with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to place U.S. students at German research labs from May-August 2021.
If selected, you will receive:
- a generous stipend
- a housing allowance
- round trip airfare
- health insurance while abroad
- financial support to attend the 2021 DAAD Heidelberg Forum and the 2022 ACS Spring Meeting
The application deadline for this program is December 15, 2020. You may learn more and apply here. For more information, please submit any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that while ACS intends to administer the 2021 ACS IRES program, the program is subject to cancellation if deemed necessary by relevant health authorities.
The U.S. Department of Energy Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) is holding a Virtual Career Fair on Thursday, October 29, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET. The event is hosted by Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE). This career fair gives undergraduates and recent graduates an opportunity to meet recruiters, scientists, and researchers; learn more about each participating lab; and learn about Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) and Community College Internships (CCI) at a variety of schools.
You may register and find a list of participating labs here.
For more information: