Continuing from what was begun in 2020, the Fairfield County Junior Fair will require the completion of at least one Skillathon per 4-H/FFA exhibitor in order to show at 2021 Fairfield County Junior Fair for all beef, dairy, goat, poultry, rabbit (except Pet Rabbits), sheep, swine, dog, horse, and alpaca/llama projects. This requirement is included on page 14 of the 2021 4-H Member Handbook.
Fairfield County Skillathons may include (but are not limited to) animal anatomy/body parts, breeding and reproduction, feeds and nutrition, current events, diseases and animal health, equipment ID, feed ID, Quality Assurance, breeds, marketing, meats, and record keeping including your project book.
Project Books should be complete and up to date for the current year. Project Books for each project an exhibitor plans to bring to the fair should be brought to Skillathon.
- If competing for Premier Exhibitor, exhibitors must complete a Skillathon for each species they plan to compete in this year.
- If exhibitors completed the Ohio State Fair Virtual or In-Person Skillathons, or opt to take the written test, they must submit project books to the Extension Office by October 1st.
Here are options to meet this county requirement:
- Participate in the Fairfield County Skillathon event to be held September 11th and 12th at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds in the Ed Sands/Fairfield County Farm Bureau Building. Sign up by noon, Wednesday, September 8th using this link: go.osu.edu/21fcskillathon
- Fairfield County youth interested in competing for any Fairfield County Premier Exhibitor Award must complete the Skillathon in each respective specie they play to compete in.
- Example: Exhibitor wishes to compete for Swine Premier Exhibitor Award and Poultry Premier Exhibitor Award must complete both the swine and poultry Fairfield County Skillathons on either September 11th or 12th.
- Participate in the Ohio State Fair Virtual Skillathon.
- Youth do not have to be exhibitors in the OSF to participate.
- Registration is due June 14th by visiting: www.go.osu.edu/skillathonregistration
- Youth do not have to be exhibitors at the OSF to participate.
- OSF Youth participating in the Outstanding Breeding Exhibitor must register and complete the OSF Virtual Skillathon to be eligible for this award.
- Exhibitors must have their own unique email address to create a log-in to access the online skillathon.
- Participate in the Ohio State Fair In-Person Skillathon.
- None of these options work? Exhibitors can take a written test in the Ed Sands Building on the Fairfield County Fairgrounds on either Sunday, September 26 at 1 p.m. or Monday, September 27 at 6 p.m. To participate in this testing option, youth must first register with the Fairfield County Senior Fair Office by contacting them at 740-653-3041.
Details including dates for both virtual/in-person options on the two options from the Ohio State Fair can be found here: https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/ohio-youth-skillathons
The 2021 In-Person County skillathons will consist of 4 stations:
- Parts of the animal
- Breeds of the species
- Quality Assurance
- Project Book Review and Interview
Dogs will complete their skillathon during Dog Check-in on Saturday, August 28th.
The following species will have skillathons on Saturday, September 11th from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Appointments must be made noon, Wednesday, September 8th through this link: go.osu.edu/21fcskillathon.
- Beef (Including Dairy Beef Feeders)
The following species will have skillathons on Sunday, September 12th, from noon to 6:00 pm. Appointments must be made by noon, Wednesday, September 8th through this link: go.osu.edu/21fcskillathon.
- Dairy Goat
- Market Goat
- Pygmy Goat
- Alpacas and Llamas
Study materials would include your project books, resource books, skillathon kits, and online resources (for poultry).
Return to the Junior Fair Rule Book index page