A great activity to use with Cloverbuds during this fall as we approach elections, is to teach members about government. Why not teach them about the Great State of Ohio? Check out the newest Cloverbud Connections post: Ohio – The Buckeye State!
From all of us at the Extension Office, we wish all Junior Fair Exhibitors the best of luck next week at the fair! We know that the 2020 fair will look and feel different, but we hope that you have a memorable, fun experience next week. 4-H and FFA projects and activities are truly one of a kind and we are so proud of each of you who have stuck with your projects during this challenging year. You have found ways to make a tough situation better for yourself, your family, and those around you by be a part of the 4-H and FFA programs. See you next week!
The Junior Fair Office will be closed to the public this year. We will be happy to assist you from the sliding glass window that is located at the east side of the building. The Junior Fair Office is located on the southeast corner of the Feeder Creek Vet Show Arena.
Junior Fair Office Hours will be as follows:
- Saturday, October 10th – Closed
- Sunday, October 11th – Open 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 12th – Open 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 13th – Open 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 14th – Open 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Junior Fair Office will also be closed on Thursday and Friday due to the Livestock Sale. The office will be open for livestock sale buyers with a limited number of people allowed in the office at one time on sale days. Please be patient as we help each individual and we will be with you as soon as possible!
The following forms must be turned in at Swine Weigh-In:
- DUNF forms are required for market and MQP hogs.
- DUNF forms should be completed as close to fair weigh-in as possible to ensure the information submitted is correct.
- Exhibitors need to submit a DUNF for EACH animal.
- DUNF forms must be completed online BEFORE weigh-in: http://go.osu.edu/fairfielddunf.
- Exhibitors will receive an email receipt after submitting their online DUNF form.
- Exhibitors will be asked to show a copy of this receipt (with exhibitor name and tag number) for each animal at weigh-in. This can be done by printing off the email receipt or showing the Show Committee the email receipt on a smartphone.
- If an exhibitor submits an online DUNF in error (i.e. incorrect species, incorrect tag number), they must notify Leslie Cooksey (email@example.com) and submit a new DUNF with the correct information.
Take Home Form: must be turned in before the hog leaves the scale.
“No Ractopamine/Paylean” Affidavit: must be turned in at weigh-in for ALL market hogs.
Backtags have been laminated thanks to Fitzpatrick Enterprises and they will be picked up by your club advisor from the Senior Fair Office. Youth will get one backtag number regardless of the number of organizations they are part of (multiple clubs/chapter) and will need to use this the entire week of fair when they are showing.
Wristbands have been organized by club/chapter and will be picked up by your club advisor from the Senior Fair Office. Any questions regarding wristbands should be directed to the Senior Fair Office at 740-653-3041.
Please check with your advisor to receive these items.
Showmanship Sign-ups – these will also be completed online this year. There is a deadline to sign-up that is different for specie. If an exhibitor misses their deadline, have them talk to the specie superintendent to see if they can be added late. We have a cutoff time prior to their show day so that we can pull the report, sort by age, and get this to the superintendent as soon as possible to prepare for their show. The direct link for signing up for showmanship is: http://go.osu.edu/fc2020showmanship
DUNF Forms – These will be completed online this year. I would suggest that exhibitors should not fill them out until as close to weigh-in/move-in day as possible to ensure the information is correct and their market/lactating animal is drug free moving into fair. The link to the online DUNF Form is in each of the 2020 Specie Documents (http://go.osu.edu/2020fairinfo). A direct link to the DUNF is: http://go.osu.edu/fairfielddunf. If someone submits a form with errors, please have them contact Leslie Cooksey at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can delete that record and they will be asked to submit a new form.
Market Poultry exhibitors will not have identification until fair weigh-in for their birds. Please put TBD in the identification field and we will update your form after weigh-in.
Daily 4-H and Junior Fair updates from 4-H Educators, Leslie Cooksey and Aubry Fowler as we approach the fair for the week of October 4th. The videos from last week can be reviewed by clicking on this link.
October 4th update includes:
- MQP Lambs
- Poultry Barn Setup
- Swine Showmanship Time Change
October 5th update includes:
- Poultry and Other Livestock Sale Clarifications
October 6th (first video) update includes:
- Hog Pet Setup in the L barn
October 6th (second video) update includes:
- School Letters
- Outstanding 4-Her Recognition
October 7th (first video) update includes:
- Super Showmanship Contest
- Livestock Judging Contest
- No Premier Exhibitor for Meat/Market Goats
October 7th (second video) update includes:
- Round Cattle Barn Setup for the Alpaca and Dairy Cattle Show Committees
October 8th (first video) update includes:
- 4-H crops and gardening drop off on Saturday
- FFA still project judging
- Cakes/Pies/Candies Judging
October 8th (second video) update includes:
- Health and Safety Guidelines
October 10th update includes:
- Agenda for Sunday – note that the correct location for the dairy feeder weigh-in is the Round Cattle Barn (not the AAA Building as Leslie accidentally stated in the video)!
2020 Junior Fair Updates by specie have been organized and posted by specie on the OSU Extension/4-H website. Please note that this information is current as of 10/8/2020 and is subject to change. Updated documents will be reposted to this site with the updated date noted next to the specie should that need to happen. http://go.osu.edu/2020fairinfo
Items that have been updated since they were originally posted on 9/23/2020:
- Map of parking area
- Modified Junior Fair Schedule (updated 10/6/2020)
- Beef Cattle (updated 9/25/2020)
- Rabbits (updated 10/7/2020)
Please take the time to read all updates as it pertains to your family and Junior Fair participation this year. Please review the 2020 General Rules and Modified Junior Fair Schedule listed at the top of this page. Additionally, since no updated rule book was printed for 2020, it is important to read the 2019 Junior Fair Book rules as well for your respective specie. All of this information is listed on this page of the website.
Please reach out if you have any questions at all!
Here is a screenshot of our OSU Extension/4-H website where the updates are posted. Below the 2020 updates, you will find links to the 2019 Junior Fair Rule Book.