Our annual Summerfest Awards Program will be held Saturday August 21, 2021 at the Ed Sands/Farm Bureau Building at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds. Members who completed their summer projects and received a 1st-3rd place, Honorable Mention or Outstanding will be mailed postcard invitations to the event soon. The event will begin at 7 p.m. We look forward to seeing you help us celebrate the great work done with summer projects. This event is open to the public.
We strongly encourage completion of 4-H projects. Although members may have not completed or had a chance to participate in judging last week, we would like to invite them to sign up for late judging. Late judging (for grade only) will be held on Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at the Extension Office by appointment between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. You must call the Extension Office at 740-653-5419 to schedule an interview time.
Summer judging state fair packets are now available for pickup at the Extension Office. We are open Monday – Friday, 7:30 am to 4 pm.
Missy is notifying youth their packets are ready. We will have some additional youth attending as there are some projects split at the state level into Junior and Senior that we missed for our county level judging.
As a reminder, this year youth will complete their interview and can leave after their interview. There are no results awarded at the end of the day, results will be released later and awards sent to each county.
We are so proud of all of the hard work each of our 4-H members (and their families…and their advisors!) have put into the last few months as you have worked through your 4-H project work and completed summer project judging last week!
Please know that we hope that each 4-H member is able to learn and grow from their 4-H project judging experiences – an opportunity to be asked questions and respond, an opportunity to open up and talk to an adult that they do not know, an opportunity to be brave! As 4-H staff, we truly have the best seat in the house on judging days watching the kids and their projects come through the door and we are so proud!
Did you miss summer judging? No problem…call our office (740-653-5419) to schedule an appointment for late judging which will take place on Tuesday, July 27th at the Ag Center/Extension Office. Members participating in late judging are no eligible for awards for state fair consideration.
The results from 2021 Summer Judging have been posted on our website. Click here to check them out! On the webpage, please select each day to view Summer Judging results. Eligible youth will be contacted when State Fair packets are available. Please note: State Fair Delegates are selected at the discretion of the judge(s). Not everyone will qualify for State Fair Selection.
Save the date for our Summer Judging Awards Program: Summerfest! Scheduled for Saturday, August 21st from 7-9 pm, Ed Sands Building, Fairgrounds. Invitations will be sent to the Award Winners soon!
Additionally, we tried to get photos of most youth while participating in judging this week. All photos have been posted in our Facebook Photo Album: Click here to access.
- Complete your project book and activities as outlined in your the Project Guidelines for your particular project.
- Practice reviewing your project with an adult. Have them ask you questions about what you did and learned from your project.
- Schedule an project judging appointment by July 8th for each project that you are completing this summer by clicking this link.
- What day is my project judging? Review your project information in the 4-H Member Handbook.
- Can’t make it on your assigned day? No problem! Although you won’t be eligible for county awards/state fair consideration, you can sign-up for late/make-up summer judging on July 27th at the Ag Center/Extension Office by calling 740-653-5419 to make an appointment.
- That still doesn’t work for you? No problem! Although you won’t be eligible for county awards/state fair consideration, you can talk to your 4-H advisor to work with you to review your project for completion for the year.
WHAT IS INVOLVED IN INTERVIEW JUDGING?
Interview judging is a discussion between the judge and 4-H member regarding the member’s project, the member’s learning experience and development and plans for the future. It is a one-on-one discussion. Members do not have to participate in interview judging to complete a project, but it is an excellent way to build skills in interviewing and provides an opportunity to compete for county awards and state fair participation. Listed below are a few statements or questions often used in making the interview meaningful to the 4-H member. These types of statements help a judge find out about the member’s knowledge, accomplishments, interests, and challenges with the project.
I. PAST EXPERIENCES & PROJECT SELECTION
a. What projects have you taken in 4-H?
b. Why did you select this project this year?
c. What did you hope to learn from the project?
II. THE PROJECT
a. Knowledge of project – subject matter – use of project terms.
b. What went well with the project? What did you do? What did you accomplish?
c. What problems did you encounter?
d. What assistance did you have? – 4-H Advisor, Junior Leader, Parents, Friends or Relatives.
e. Questions related to 4-H project book content.
III. PLANS FOR THE FUTURE
a. What more would you like to learn in this project area?
b. What project will you take next year?
c. What are your other interests?
IV. PERSONAL INFORMATION & KNOWLEDGE OF 4-H
a. What 4-H activities have you participated in within your club or county?
b. Leadership experience in local club
c. Overall knowledge of 4-H
d. Plans for future – schooling, career, etc.
e. What was the biggest thing 4-H taught you this year?
V. ADDITIONAL TIPS TO PREPARE FOR JUDGING:
This is an interview, so 4-Hers will want to keep in mind:
a. Wear nice clothes (dress pants/slacks, skirts, nice blouses, tops, etc.)
b. Grooming is essential. (hair, nails, etc. should be presentable)
c. Shake the judge’s hand
d. Be polite; use please and thank you
e. Do not have gum or other food in their mouth!
The summer judging sign up link has been sent to all youth enrolled in projects that can be judged in July through 4-H Online. The email will say from 4-H Online, so please be on the lookout – some email systems don’t like 4-H Online. Youth and their families should have received an email (or multiple emails if they are judged on multiple days) with the link.
Please contact Missy at 740-277-4631 if you have questions about summer judging sign ups!
4-H Summer Project Judging is scheduled for July 12th through July 15th, 2021. Please note that we will be changing the location of judging this year and it will now take place in the Ed Sands Building at the Fairfield County Fairgrounds. This is different than what was printed in the 4-H Member Handbook and 4-H Project Guidelines. Please be sure that you review the 4-H Member Handbook and 4-H Project Guidelines as you complete your projects and prepare for judging. Scheduling of appointments for summer projects will be open soon.
Another change that we will be making this year is for the Style Revue. There will not be a formal style revue taking place during the evening of July 15th. In lieu of the in-person evening event, members will be modeling their projects to be recorded and narrated by Fashion and Nutrition Board Members and videos shared virtually at a later date. Details will be shared soon with clothing/sewing members.
If you cannot make it to your judging day, late judging is available by appointment for Tuesday, July 27th. Members participating in late judging will earn a grade and will not be eligible for awards. To schedule an appointment for late judging on July 27th, call 740-653-5419.
Award sponsors should have received their invoices to make payment toward sponsoring 2020 Junior Fair Awards. Please send payment in as soon as possible. If questions, contact Ashleigh Traster at 740-503-4980 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, Ashleigh is the new Junior Fair Awards Coordinator!
The following awards are currently not sponsored for 2020 as of August 28, 2020. Please contact Ashleigh (contact information listed above) to be sure the award is still available. Thank you in advance!
Book 1 – Dairy
- 2nd-6th Place Jr. Dairy Market Feeder Showman – 5 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 2nd-6th Place Beginner Dairy Feeder Showman – 5 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 4th-5th Place Dairy Showman of Showmen Contest – 2 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- Junior Champion Guernsey Heifer – 1 Trophy at $18.50
- Reserve Junior Champion Guernsey Heifer – 1 Rosette at $4.50
- Dairy Breeding 1st Place, each class – 9 Rosettes at $4.50 each
Book 4 – Sheep
- 1st Place Sheep Premier Exhibitor – 1 Award at $100.00
Book 6 – Dairy Goats
- 1st -5th Place Senior Yearling – 5 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- Reserve Champion Milker – 1 Trophy at $17.50
- Division II 2nd Place Dairy Goat Showman (ages 12-14) – 1 Trophy at $17.50
- 1st-5th Place 5 Year Old and Over Dairy Goat – 3 Rosettes at $4.50 each
Book 11 – Rabbits
- 3rd-10th Place Pen of 2 Home Grown Fryers – 6 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 1st-3rd Place Each Breed Class, Does & Bucks – 14 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 1st-5th Place Premier Rabbit Exhibitor – 1 ARBA Book at $22.00
Book 12 – 4-H/FFA Crops
- 1st Place Vegetable or Fruit – 1 Rosette at $4.50
Book 13 – FFA Agriculture Engineering/Production
- 1st Place Woodworking Small (FFA Engineering) – 1 Rosette at $4.50
Book 14 – Dogs
- 2nd-5th Place Junior, You & Your Dog – 4 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 2nd-5th Place Intermediate, You & Your Dog – 4 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 2nd-5th Place Beginner Novice (B) – 4 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 2nd-5th Place Pre-Novice – 4 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 2nd-3rd Place Dog Obedience Graduate (Novice B) – 2 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- 1st Place Dog Obedience (Open B) – 1 Trophy at $17.50
- Junior Showmanship (A) (ages 8-11) – 1 Trophy at $17.50
- 2nd-3rd Place Senior Showmanship (B) (ages 15-18) – 2 Rosettes at $4.50 each
- Senior Showmanship (B) (ages 15-18) – 1 Trophy at $17.50
Book 19 – Nutrition
- 1st Place Everyday Food & Fitness – 1 Rosette at $4.50
- 3rd Place Everyday Food & Fitness – 1 Rosette at $4.50
- Overall Best Intermediate Cake – $15.00 Award
Book 20 – Clothing
- 2nd Place Creative Costumes – 1 Rosette at $4.50
- 1st Place Look Great for Less – 1 Rosette at $4.50
Special 4-H Club Awards
- 5 Year Member Pins – 10 pins at $2.00 each
- 11 Year Member Pins – 5 pins at $2.00 each
We are so proud of the hard work 4-H members have put into their projects this year! Congrats to all!
Here are the results of our members who participated in judging on Day 4 (Thursday, July 16th). For a complete list of results, click here.
We are so proud of the hard work 4-H members have put into their projects this year! Congrats to all!
Here are the results of our members who participated in judging on Day 3 (Wednesday, July 15th). For a complete list of results, click here.