Are you a Treasurer or Secretary for your 4-H Club? Make sure to turn in your officer book to the Extension Office (831 College Ave, Suite D, Lancaster). Records should be completed through October 31st, 2021. Given the deadline falls on the weekend, books must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, November 1st.
Awards will be given to the top 3 treasurer and top 3 secretary books. These cash awards are given directly to the member for their officer book!
Want more information? Check out your 4-H Member Handbook (p. 15) or ask your advisor!
Were you able to visit The Thank You Note Project during the Fairfield County Fair?!? We are mailing out 50 thank you notes that were completed during fair week! Did you have a busy week and miss the Thank You Note Station?
Great News: Bring your completed note to the Extension Office (831 College Ave. Suite D, Lancaster) by Friday, Oct. 29th and the 4-H Endowment Committee will pay for your postage. The Extension Office is open Mon-Friday from 7:30am – 4:00pm. There is also a black drop off box on the East side of the building near our employee entrance where you can place thank you notes after hours. Now is a perfect time to say thank you!
The Youth Scholarship Program is now accepting applications for the 2022 Program. The Ohio State Beekeepers Association supports new young beekeepers through our Youth Scholarship Program. We realize that the success of a new beekeeper is not reliant on the work of the student and money alone, but by the effort of a partnership. Thus the Youth Scholarship Program encourages participation of the guardian, student, local association, and mentor. 4-H & FFA students are encouraged to participate for 2022. This program is open to members of 4-H/FFA, in school, between the ages of 12 and 18. Questions – Youth Scholarship Program by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 419.438.7335
10 selected applicants (5 from 4-H and 5 from FFA) will receive:
*Woodenware and tools for two hives
*1 year membership to OSBA
* Free admission to the OSBA Fall Conference Beekeeper Training DVD
*1 year subscription to Bee Culture
October 8th, 2021 – Applications and program information will be available.
November 28th, 2021 – Application deadline.
December 5th, 2021 – Winners announced.
For full program requirements and instructions, visit our website: www.OhioStateBeekeepers.org
Download the Youth Scholarship Application at http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/about-osba/youth-scholarship-program/?fbclid=IwAR2Izqbwls7TnLVwYESDJP0FtsSLcWm66oT7nfwcub4e27pbHzVEamN5XWk
All dairy goats must be individually identified by either a tattoo that matches an original registration paper or by a microchip that is listed on the original registration paper. If using a micro chip for identification you must provide the reader and have it available at all times. Microchip animals must also have a tattoo “E” or “ET”. This is to be in compliance with USDA rules. The other alternative is to have a scrapie tag on your dairy goat.
Robin Saum, Dairy Goat Superintendent
Junior Beef Superintendents Chris Turner and Brandon Thomas have made the stall assignments for the 2021 Jr. Fair beef barn. Find them attached here in PDF format and below.
The mulch that is being provided was placed in the barn and also under the adjoining tent on Tuesday, the 5th. A modest amount of mulch remains available outside the west door of the beef barn. As you prepare your beef cattle stall spaces, if you find you need additional mulch, while it lasts you are welcome to wheel barrow mulch from that pile into your stall spaces. If any mulch remains on Friday evening it will be moved to another location where it can be accessed throughout the fair.
Livestock Judging Contest: Sunday, October 10, 9 a.m., East side of the Swine Barn
Contest to follow beginning at 9:30 a.m., at the Swine Barn
Superintendent: James Maynard
Assistant Superintendent: Hayley Maynard
Please sign up for the contest using this link
READ THE GENERAL RULES AND HEALTH REGULATIONS
The contest will be conducted in two divisions: Senior (ages 14-18), Junior (ages 8-13).
- All ages are as of January 1st of the current year.
- Rules and conditions apply to both divisions.
- When available, one class from each of the following will be used: Market Hogs, Breeding Gilts, Market Lambs, Breeding Ewes, Market Goats, Breeding Goats, and Market Beef Steers and Breeding Beef Heifers.
- Livestock entered in the Junior Fair and/or Open classes and housed at the fair are subject to be used for the Livestock Judging Contest.
- Committee members have the right to bring in outside livestock to fill classes, if not enough animals are made available from FFA and 4-H members on Sunday of the fair. Animals brought to the fairgrounds must be checked by a veterinarian before setting foot on the fairgrounds.
- For each species there will be at least one placing class and one questions class.
- The scores will be computed by the committee in charge and displayed.
- For Junior Fair Premier Exhibitor purposes, all participants will be grouped into one group per species (regardless of age) and ranked.
- Tiebreakers for Livestock Judging Contest Awards shall be (in order):
a) The highest total score for all questions and answers.
b) Most consistency of class scores – narrowest spread from high to low score.
c) Highest score on one set of oral reasons given on a class of the participant’s choice, given to Contest Superintendent(s).
Award sponsors should have received their invoices to make payment toward sponsoring 2021 Junior Fair Awards. Please send payment in as soon as possible. If questions, contact Ashleigh Traster at 740-503-4980 or by email at email@example.com. Please note, Ashleigh was the new Junior Fair Awards Coordinator starting in 2020!
The following awards are currently not sponsored for 2021 as of October 1, 2021. Many of these awards are NEW for 2021 as we have made updates to our Premier Exhibitor Program.
Please contact Aubry Fowler (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be sure the Premier Exhibitor award is still available. Thank you in advance!
Dairy Breeding Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 2nd Place Dairy Breeding Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $75
- 2nd Place Dairy Breeding Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 3rd Place Dairy Breeding Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
Dairy Feeder Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 1st Place Dairy Feeder Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $100
- 1st Place Dairy Feeder Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 3rd Place Dairy Feeder Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
- 3rd Place Dairy Feeder Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
Sheep Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 3rd Place Sheep Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
Dairy Goat Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 1st Place Dairy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $100
- 1st Place Dairy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 2nd Place Dairy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $75
- 2nd Place Dairy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
Meat/Market Goat Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 2nd Place Meat/Market Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $75
- 2nd Place Meat/Market Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 3rd Place Meat/Market Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
- 3rd Place Meat/Market Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 1st Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $100
- 1st Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 2nd Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $75
- 2nd Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 3rd Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
- 3rd Place Pygmy Goat Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
Poultry Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 3rd Place Poultry Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
- 3rd Place Poultry Premier Exhibitor – Banner $25
- 1st Place Premier Exhibitor Age Division Winners (10 Awards at $10 each) – $100 Total Sponsorship
Rabbit Premier Exhibitor Awards
- 1st Place Rabbit Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $100
- 2rd Place Rabbit Premier Exhibitor – Cash Award $50
- 1st Place Premier Exhibitor Age Division Winners (5 Awards at $10 each) – $50 Total Sponsorship
The Junior Fair Office is located on the north side of the fairgrounds in the Feeder Creek Vet Show Arena. This is where exhibitors will pickup backtags for livestock/horse shows.
Office Hours will be as follows:
- Sunday, October 10th: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 11th: 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 12th: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 13th: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 14th: 7:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. **Sale Office takes over the Junior Fair Office Area from 12:00 p.m. Thursday through Friday’s sale. Buyers can check-in one hour before the start of each sale.
- Friday, October 15th: Closed (only open for Livestock Sale purposes)
- Saturday, October 16th: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The Extension Office (831 College Ave, Suite D) will be closed Monday, October 11, 2021. Our hours the remainder of fair week will be 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tuesday, October 12th through Friday, October 15th, 2021. Please call first to make sure someone is in the office before stopping by – most of us will be at the fairgrounds all week. Call 740-653-5419.