A new post has been added to the Ohio 4-H Cloverbud Connections blog that can be used with 4-H Cloverbud members and club programming. Check out: Utilizing Children’s Books to Have Tough Conversations.
Today’s Tip for Teen video is “How to Make Apple Nachos” featuring Pat Brinkman, Family and Consumer Sciences Educator in Fayette County. Pat demonstrates how to make a tasty and healthy snack. Remember an apple a day, keeps the doctor away!
Join the Ohio 4-H Foundation for this year’s Celebration of Youth event on Thursday, November 5 at 7:00. This year, for the first time, the virtual event is open to everyone free of charge. Participants will enjoy a program featuring many Ohio 4-H members and an online auction. Funds raised from Celebration of Youth support Ohio 4-H programming and operations to help engage youth across Ohio’s 88 counties. Please visit go.osu.edu/COY for event details, sponsorship information, and registration for the event.
Daily 4-H and Junior Fair updates from 4-H Educators, Leslie Cooksey and Aubry Fowler as we approach the fair for the week of September 28th.
September 28th update includes:
- Updated specie/judgings at the fair: http:/go.osu/edu/2020fairinfo
- Review 2019 Junior Fair Rules
- Beef Rules and Parking Map have been updated
- Wristbands and backtag pickup for Advisors
- Backtags are laminated – thanks to Fitzpatrick Enterprises!
- Buyer packets are in the mail
- New buyers – contact OSU Extension
- Thank you for completing 4-H and FFA record books!
September 29th update includes:
- Appointment scheduling for Cakes/Pies/Candies and Companion Animals
- Take Home Forms for Market Livestock
- Partial Terminal Sale
- Only Overall Grand/Reserve Champions animals will go through the ring
September 30th update includes:
- Sorting Rosettes & Trophies…and writing Thank You Notes!
- Show Committees meet September 30th
October 1st update includes:
- Wristband and Backtag pickup for Advisors
- Showmanship Sign-ups
- Review 2020 Junior Fair Updates by Specie
October 2nd update includes:
- Take Home Form: go.osu.edu/2020takehome
- No Paylean Form: go.osu.edu/nopayleanform
- Online DUNF Forms: go.osu.edu/fairfieldunf
2020 Junior Fair Updates by specie have been organized and posted by specie on the OSU Extension/4-H website. Please note that this information is current as of 9/23/2020 and is subject to change. Updated documents will be reposted to this site with the updated date noted next to the specie should that need to happen. http://go.osu.edu/2020fairinfo
Please take the time to read all updates as it pertains to your family and Junior Fair participation this year. Please review the 2020 General Rules and Modified Junior Fair Schedule listed at the top of this page. Additionally, since no updated rule book was printed for 2020, it is important to read the 2019 Junior Fair Book rules as well for your respective specie. All of this information is listed on this page of the website.
Please reach out if you have any questions at all!
Here is a screenshot of our OSU Extension/4-H website where the updates are posted. Below the 2020 updates, you will find links to the 2019 Junior Fair Rule Book.
There’s so much happening in October! The Tractor Supply Paper Clover campaign runs from Oct. 7-18. Customers can purchase a paper clover at checkout and 90% of funds come back to Ohio counties to support scholarships for camp and leadership programs. And to keep kids safe this fall, there will be no in-store promotions.
It’s time for the fall Tractor Supply Paper Clover Drive! Purchase a clover in-store or at checkout to support 4-H camp and leadership opportunities in Fairfield County. Purchase from any Fairfield County TSC Store (Pickerington, Carroll, or Lancaster).
Attention all Fairfield County Cloverbud Members!
In order to keep all Cloverbuds and their families safe, we have decided to make all fair activities virtual. The Fairfield County Senior Fair Board is trying to limit the number of people who attend the Junior Fair and are on the grounds, so we are creating virtual opportunities to celebrate our Cloverbud members.
Below is a list of the virtual opportunities you can take part in:
- Cloverbud Graduation
- We will be recognizing Cloverbud members who are ‘graduating’ from the Cloverbud program and will be traditional 4-H members in 2020.
- Members should have received an email if this applies to them.
- Cloverbud Graduates will receive a certificate of completion, graduation gift, and recognition. If you would like to be included, please complete the Cloverbud Graduate Survey at osu.edu/CloverbudGraduation by September 25, 2020.
- This is an opportunity for club members to tell about their year in 4-H. All participants will receive a ribbon.
- If you’re interested in participating in Show-N-Tell, please submit a short video on Flipgrid (https://flipgrid.com/c91f2887). Please remember to be aware of what you’re wearing, what’s in the background, etc when recording your video – We want everyone’s videos to be 4-H Friendly. If you have questions about this just ask!
- Include in your video:
- Talk about & Show your favorite activity from 4-H this year
- All video submissions are due by October 5, 2020
- Stuffed Animal Show
- Members can select their favorite stuffed animal and “enter the ring”. Each member can share a fun fact about their animal, and have a mini experience of what it’s like to show at the fair. All participants will receive a ribbon.
- If you’re interested in participating in Show-N-Tell, please submit a short video on Flipgrid (https://flipgrid.com/ab0bb1cb). Please remember to be aware of what you’re wearing, what’s in the background, etc when recording your video – We want everyone’s videos to be 4-H Friendly. If you have questions about this just ask!
- Include in your video:
- Stuffed Animal’s Name
- Fun Fact about the Stuffed Animal
- All video submissions are due by October 5, 2020
Just a reminder:
- All virtual Cloverbud activities are optional
- All participates who submit a video/photo will be recognized on the Fairfield County 4-H Facebook page, blog and during fair week.
- Cloverbud events are non-competitive, learning experiences where each exhibitor will receive recognition and a prize for participating. Items of recognition do NOT have to be picked up at the fair in order to keep members and families safe, they can be picked up at the OSU Extension Office or their club advisor will receive them at the end of the year to pass out
If you have questions, please contact Aubry Fowler, Extension Educator, via email Fowler.firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 740-277-4626
Plans for the 2020 Junior Fair are well underway. We realize that there are still changes or updates that could take place, so please make sure you review the most up to date version of each specie update. All specie updates will also be posted on the Fairfield County 4-H Webpage at this link. Please check there for the most up to date version of these documents.
Additionally, all dairy exhibitors should review General Rules and Dairy Rules from the 2019 Junior Fair Book.
Tip for Teens: Scams and Phishing. Do you know how to protect yourself against scams and phishing? Alisha Barton, Family and Consumer Sciences Educator in Miami County, will share tips to protect yourself and guard against being a victim of scams and phishing.
This fall, the Ohio 4-H Teen Leadership Council will again be hosting two different Achievement Form Workshops for 4-H members statewide!
- October 7, 2020 (7:00-9:00 p.m. on Zoom): An informational session will be held, providing a basic overview of the Achievement Form, giving introductory tips for completion, and sharing about potential opportunities available to members who complete and submit their forms.
- Must register at go.osu.edu/AchForm2020 by October 5 to receive Zoom information for the workshop.
- November 14, 2020 (5:30-7:30 p.m. on Zoom): A more in-depth session will be offered for those who have completed or made significant progress on their form; small group coaching will be available for members to receive personalized feedback.
- Must register at go.osu.edu/AchForm2020 by November 12 to receive Zoom information for the workshop.
More information can also be found at go.osu.edu/TLC.