The Georgia Institute of Technology is calling for graduate applications for the 1-year M.S. in Global Media and Cultures (MS-GMC). Launched in 2019, MS-GMC is a joined degree by the School of Modern Languages and School of Literature, Media, and Communication. As the first advanced degree in foreign language and cultural studies in the United States explicitly designed for industry careers, MS-GMC builds on Georgia Tech’s cutting-edge programs in foreign language and media education. It prepares students to work effectively in contexts ranging from non-profit, business, engineering, public policy, and medicine.
MS-GMC takes three semesters (Fall, Spring, and Summer) to complete. Students take 30 credit hours of course work, have a concentration in one of the available languages, defend a professional portfolio, and complete a final project.
The program is currently offered in six different language concentrations: Chinese, Japanese, French, German, Russian, and Spanish. Students with intermediate-mid level proficiency in their language concentration (ACTFL standards) eligible to apply.
To apply (https://grad.modlangs.gatech.edu/apply):
Deadline: February 15th, 2020
Priority Deadline: January 15th, 2020
Admissions is a two-step process. Please download our Application Checklist for details.
Step 1: Online application, submitted through CollegeNET (gradadmiss.gatech.edu), Deadline February 15th
Step 2: 15-minute language proficiency interview, conducted via app or video chat after the online application is submitted.
1.Completed Bachelor’s Degree from a U.S.-accredited college or university
2. TOEFL score at least 90 or above (required for all international students)
3. MS-GMC: Intermediate-mid level proficiency in the language of focus
4. Students may be enrolled in a degree program at another university while also being enrolled in this program
- FLAS Fellowships: Apply separately by January 3rd, Atlanta Global Studies Center, priority given to Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Russian, & Portuguese
- Global At Home Assistantship: Apply separately by Feb 15th, a nationally unique partnership with Georgia Tech Residential Life
- Culture at Work Assistantship: all MS-GMC candidates considered.
For more info about our curriculum, funding opportunities, and application procedures, please visit https://gmc.iac.gatech.edu/
Questions may be directed to Jenny Strakovsky, Assistant Director of Graduate Studies and Career Education (email@example.com)