My Very Own Blanket – Community Service Opportunity

My Very Own Blanket is dedicated to warming the heart of every child in the foster care system with a blanket, to give them a feeling of comfort, security and most of all, a SMILE.  Handmade blankets are created through the loving care of volunteers. We connect diverse people, community groups, businesses and services through this volunteer opportunity and ministry to our children in foster care. These gifts are comforting and familiar, and children can take them from one home to another.  Thousands of blankets are donated each year to children in foster care. Each blanket is personalized with the child’s name, a tradition for My Very Own Blanket since 1999.

Volunteers are needed to sew/create blankets that can then be given to children in the foster care system, so that no matter what, each foster child has something that belongs to them and can be a comfort to them. Blankets can be sewn/quilted, crocheted, knitted, or no-sew fleece blankets. All blankets must be new and handmade as the handmade aspect is an important part of the gift.

Blankets can be donated to My Very Own Blanket in Westerville, OH, or reach out to My Very Own Blanket and they will put you in touch with an agency in Licking County so that blankets can stay within our community.

This would be a great opportunity for clubs for a community service project. Check out https://www.myveryownblanket.org/ to learn more about the process and the requirements/guidelines for creating blankets.