Ohio Cattlemen’s Association is hosting a Judging Contest on Friday, March 20, 2020 in conjunctions with the Ohio Beef Expo. Information can be found below.
4-H Science Saturday is back on February 8 with Science Saturday Sausage! Find out where you meat comes from and learn more about food science. You’ll even make your own sausage to sample. Registration is limited to the first 20 registration from youth in grade 3-6. Find all the details here.
PLOWBOY PROM HAS BEEN CANCELLED FOR 2020.
It’s time for the annual Plowboy Prom, hosted by OSU’s Collegiate 4-H chapter! Join us on March 14 at the Nationwide & Ohio 4-H Farm Bureau Center for an evening of square dancing, food and fun with music from The Pleasant Valley Boys. Admission is just $5 and doors open at 6 p.m. See you there for the “Captivating Carnival!”
Livestock Quality Assurance:
Any Hartford Fair youth exhibitor who has not attended one approved Junior Fair Livestock Quality Assurance training will be ineligible to exhibit livestock (in the areas requiring QA training) during the 2020 Hartford Independent Fair if they are unable to complete a Quality Assurance training by June 1, 2020.
All youth enrolling in a horse project for the first time during 2020 will be required to attend a Horse Safety & Ethics Program. This program is also required of all advisors who will be working with horse projects for the first time during the coming year. Each member is required to have a parent / guardian attend with them. both, the youth member and parent / guardian will be required to sign in upon attend. Youth are not eligible to show in 4-H sponsored shows (youth 4-H shows / Hartford Fair / Ohio State Fair) until this training requirement has been met. Horse Safety & Ethics programs are offered at the same time and location as livestock quality assurance programs.
All QA requirements must be met by June 1. Please contact the Licking County OSU Extension office at 740-670-5315 for a list of out of county QA program dates and times contact phone numbers that you can attend in order to exhibit livestock/equine projects at the Hartford Junior Fair.
The livestock requirements/summary is now available and contains information on taggings/weigh-ins, possession dates, and other requirements for each species that will show at the Hartford Fair. The livestock summary can be found here.
Several of our Licking County 4-H Royalty/Ambassador applications are now available. Please note deadlines and to where applications should be mailed. Applications not listed are not yet available, but will hopefully be available to you soon.
Licking County Cattlemen’s Association Queen & Princess of Beef Contest – Return entry by March 1, 2020 to: LCCA, c/o OSU Extension – Licking County Office, 771 E. Main Street, Suite 103, Newark, OH 43055.
Licking County Dairy Princess Contest – Applications due by Monday, March 9, 2020. Mail application to: Leanne Rex, 959 Newark Granville Road, Granville, OH 43023
Licking County Dairy Feeder Princess Application – Applications due by Monday, March 9, 2020. Mail application to: Leanne Rex, 959 Newark Granville Road, Granville, OH 43023.
Licking County Family & Consumer Sciences Queen/Princess Contest Application – Applications due by May 1, 2020. All entries should be submitted to: OSU Extension – Licking County Office, 771 E. Main Street, Suite 103, Newark, OH 43055.
Licking County Goat King & Queen Contest Application – Entries due no later than Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Mail entries to Lori Lee, 18355 Utica Road, Utica, OH 43080.
Licking County Lamb Royalty Application – Applications Due: Monday, March 16, 2020. to: Licking County Lamb Royalty Contest, OSU Extension – Licking County, 771 E. Main Street, Suite 103, Newark, OH 43055.
Licking County Pork Industry Queen / Princess Contest Application and Guidelines – Entry Deadline: Friday, April 15, 2020. Mail entry to: Kelsey McLaughlin, 5691 Sunnyside Road, Granville, OH 43023
Licking County Poultry Royalty Contest Application – Entry Deadline: Friday, April 24, 2020. Mail application to: Sarah Henry 11413 Blue Jay Road, Newark, OH 43056
Licking County 4-H Shooting Sports Ambassador – Application Entry Deadline: Wednesday, May 1, 2020 – Mail completed entry to: LCSS Ambassador, c/o Jennifer Imbody, 12893 Rocky Fork Road, St. Louisville, OH 43071.
The Ohio Corriedale Club will award two Corriedale ewes to a 4-H or FFA member that is interested in starting a flock of Corriedale sheep.
The applicant must follow these guidelines:
1. The applicant must complete an application with an essay answering the questions below.
2. All ewes must be managed by the recipient with the assistance and approval of parents or guardians.
3. The recipient must be of 4-H or FFA age the year the ewes are awarded.
4. The recipient must provide adequate facilities and feed for the ewes.
5. The recipient of the ewes or immediate family members must not own Corriedale sheep at the time of application.
6. The recipient should keep the ewes for at least two lambing seasons.
7. The ewes should be a part of the 4-H or FFA member’s project and be exhibited at least at the Junior Fair Sheep Show at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus during the year the ewes are awarded.
More information along with the application can be found here.
The River Round Up Poster Contest is open to all school-aged youth in primary, secondary schools (public, private, and home school; K-12) or school-aged youth living in Licking County.
Posters should reflect water pollution awareness and encourage volunteer participation in the River Round Up. Prizes will be awarded to students and their respective schools.
The winning individual will receive $100 in prize money and winner’s school will receive a $500 scholarship to use for advancing science and art programs. Up to two honorable mentions will receive $50 in prize money and a $250 scholarship each for their school.
The grand prize also includes having the winning poster used as the primary electronic marketing picture for the 2020 River Round Up. Entries will be displayed on the River Round Up Facebook page. Winning posters will be displayed at a River Round Up registration sites on Saturday, September 12, 2020.
1. The poster contest is open to any K-12 student who resides or attends school in Licking County. (including public, private, and homeschooled)
2. Posters should be between 8.5 x 11 inches and 11 x 17 inches and have flat artwork only. Do not fold or roll posters. No glitter.
3. All entries must be received by 4:30 p.m. Friday, February 21, 2020. Only one entry per student. Winners will be announced by Friday, March 13, 2020.
4. Attach an official entry form to the back of the poster entry; entry form must be filled out completely and legibly.
5. Mail entries to: River Round Up Poster Contest, c/o LCR, 20 S. 2nd St., Newark, OH 43055.
6. Deliver entries to: River Round Up Poster Contest, Licking County Recycling, 295 Wilson St. Newark, OH 43055.
7. All entries become the property of the River Round Up committee and will not be returned to artist.
8. Only original artwork with positive themes will be accepted. Winning artwork may be modified to suit marketing purposes.
OFFICIAL RIVER ROUND UP 2020 POSTER CONTEST ENTRY FORM available HERE.
Join us at the Granville Kiwanis Pancake Day! Proceeds will help in building a creekside classroom at 4-H Camp Ohio – adding a structure near stream study area for outdoor classroom space!
Saturday, February 15, 2020
7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
St. Edwards Catholic Church: 785 Newark Granville Rd., Granville, OH 43023
Children (age 5-12): $4.00
Children under 5 years old are free