In recognition of teachers as professionals, educators, and caregivers, a session at the OATFCS – Ohio Association Teachers of Family Consumer Sciences conference focused on Mindfulness and Self-Care. This page has links to resources that were shared during the webinar.
Three recommended articles for teachers:
- Compassion Fatigue and Teachers enrichingstudents.com/compassion-fatigue-and-teachers
- How Self-Compassion Can Help Prevent Teacher Burnout. By Vicki Zakrzewski, Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkley. https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/self_compassion_for_teachers
- Six Ways for Educators to Avoid Compassion Fatigue from Lesley University https://lesley.edu/article/six-ways-for-educators-to-avoid-compassion-fatigue
- (bonus article!) Why Teacher Self-Care Matters and How to Practice Self-Care in Your School https://www.waterford.org/education/teacher-self-care-activities/
Mindful Mindset mini-lessons – this page was designed in partnership with a High School FCS teacher during remote learning. The links on this page were shared with staff as well as high school students with a sample of short online mindfulness practices as well as a link to Live Smart Ohio blog post on what to look for in a mindfulness app.
Mindful Practices depending on how much time you have, from 30 seconds to ten minutes.
Mindful Wellness is the Ohio State University Extension curriculum and series of lessons designed for adults. OSU Extension Educators teach in-person as well as remotely. If you are interested in offering Mindful Wellness to adults in your community (for example, worksite wellness), please use the following link to contact one our state representatives: go.osu.edu/mindfulwellness
If you would like to contact the two presenters from the August 2, 2021 webinar, emails below:
- Patrice Powers-Barker, Ohio State University Extension, Lucas County Family and Consumer Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melinda Hill, Ohio State University Extension, Wayne County Family and Consumer Sciences, email@example.com
If you or someone you know is experiencing Compassion Fatigue, Burn Out or any other struggles, please share information with others to seek help.
List of References for the webinar
- Bergstrom, C. (2017). “Three Senses Mindfulness Activity for Kids, Teens and Grown-ups.” Blissful Kids. Available at https://blissfulkids.com/three-senses-mindfulness-activity-kids-teens-grown-ups
- Compassion Fatigue and Teachers. (n.d.) Enriching Students. www.enrichingstudents.com/compassion-fatigue-and-teachers
- Compassion Fatigue Awareness Project. (2021) https://compassionfatigue.org/
- HHS Strategic Plan: Strategic Plan FY 2014 – 2018 (2014, March 10). Department of Health and Human Services.
- Job burnout: How to spot it and take action. (2021). Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/burnout/art-20046642
- Self-care interventions for health. (2021). World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/health-topics/self-care
- Six Ways for Educators to Avoid Compassion Fatigue. (n.d.) Lesley University https://lesley.edu/article/six-ways-for-educators-to-avoid-compassion-fatigue
- Stress Management. (2021). Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/basics/stress-basics/hlv-20049495
- The Counseling Teacher Brandy. (n.d.) Circles of Control Poster. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Circles-of-Control-Poster-5343091
- Zakraweski, V. (2012). How Self-Compassion Can Help Prevent Teacher Burnout. https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/self_compassion_for_teachers