Gardening is an activity for all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Every growing season is a new experience so it doesn’t matter if you are just starting out or if you’ve been gardening for generations.
If you have attended a program and have a question for Patrice, she can be reached at the OSU Extension Lucas County office or by email: email@example.com.
We also want to make sure you connect with your local resources! If you are gardening in Ohio, you can connect with your local county Extension office. In addition, Ask A Master Gardener Volunteer is for Ohioans to ask questions about gardens, plants, and insects.
Here are a few tips for different types of gardens:
- In this list of ideas for Theme Gardens, some of the gardens have edible plants, some focus on learning; some are for beautification and most are for sharing. What will you grow? Theme Garden handout 2021
- Grow What You Know Recipe Gardens webpage or handout for Recipe Gardens
- Gardening as a Self-Care Practice
Basic gardening tips:
- Fall Vegetable Gardening – what seeds to plant in the summer webpage or Fall garden handout
Here are a few tips for different audiences:
- Ten Tips for Gardening with Children, 2020
- Gardening with Small Children
- From Congratulations! You are a role model. : “Stretching beyond our interest areas and comfort zones can be beneficial for the children in our life. The Public Broadcasting Service shares examples about teaching children about insects and not screaming in fear. They encourage adults to “think about your own reactions when you encounter a bug” and then they share ways for adults to react in a calm way to model to children. You don’t have to love insects to encourage a child in their interest and learning process.“
- Gardening with a physical limitation FactSheet
- Tools for the Enabled Garden (helping make spaces as user-friendly as possible for those with limitations and pain)
Vegetable garden-related topics:
- Fresh, safe, garden produce Live Smart Ohio blog
- Home Food Preservation, Family and Consumer Sciences
Additional garden resources:
- When to Plant Vegetables: The Garden Planting Calendar – look up your zip code
- Vegetable Container Gardens from University of Maine Extension
- Gardening in Small Spaces by University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension
- Square Foot Gardening by Clemson Cooperative Extension