2020 Update – we are pleased to offer one-day mindfulness in-service to our colleagues at OSU Extension on Thursday, August 20, 2020. For a copy of the agenda, handouts, links and resources, please visit this page. Check here for a copy of the Mindfulness Ideas and Activities handout.
(from 2019 – about the new curriculum)
Dear Extension Colleagues,
We are so excited to share that Mindful Wellness, an OSU Extension curriculum is now available for sale at OSU Extension Publications.
OSU Extension, Family and Consumer Sciences promotes mindfulness education as part of the Healthy Relationships team. OSU Extension staff who will use the curriculum across the state can attend an annual state-wide training or coordinate a regional training with colleagues. For more information about Mindful Wellness opportunities in Ohio and links to contacts, please visit https://fcs.osu.edu/programs/major-program-areas/healthy-relationships/mindful-wellness.
Participant AGENDA 2019 for one-day training offered to OSU Extension staff by the Mindful Wellness team.
As a suggestion to our colleagues, we like to share some online, free resources from OSU, other state Extension programs and wellness sites from other universities. This is certainly not an exhaustive list but it includes some online sources that might be of interest to Ohioans in order to learn more about mindfulness:
- Follow the Live Smart Ohio Mind and Body Blog http://livesmartohio.osu.edu/category/mind-and-body/ as well as Live Smart Ohio http://livesmartohio.osu.edu/
- Read the OSU Extension Fact Sheets related to mindfulness such as:
- Introduction to Mindfulness http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-5243-0
- Stress Coping Methods http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-5242
- Eating Healthy During Stressful Times http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-5244
- Helping Children Through Stressful Times http://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/flm-fs-8-99-r07
- Read Mindfulness: Learning to live in the moment. (2013 October). Special Report, Supplement to Mayo Clinic Health Letter. Retrieved from https://healthletter.mayoclinic.com/issues
- Use free online audio resources and downloads from OSU as well as other universities to listen to mindfulness practices such as:
- OSU Wexner Medical Center Mindfulness Practices https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/integrative-complementary medicine/resources/mindfulness-practices
- (similar to above but on OSU Employee website) https://osuhealthplan.com/members/ohio-state-employee-assistance-program-eap/osu-eap-tools
- University of Virginia School of Medicine – audio https://med.virginia.edu/mindfulness-center/continue-your-practice/audio-recordings/
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center, free guided meditations http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations (in English and Spanish audio and transcripts in English)
- Benzo’s Mindful Breathing Lab at Mayo Clinic http://www.mayo.edu/research/labs/mindful-breathing/audio-files
- Lynn Rossy, Ph.D. at the Center for Mindful Eating https://thecenterformindfuleating.org/FREE-Meditations
- Sign up for an online course like the Mind-Body Skills Training for Resilience, Effectiveness, and Mindfulness (STREAM) through the OSU College of Medicine https://mind-bodyhealth.osu.edu These courses are free to OSU employees and can be accessed by others for a cost.
- Utilize the resources on Your Plan For Health, JustBreathe Resource Center and the mindfulness Self-Help Programs (and points!).
Thank you for your interest! We are always interested in learning from our colleagues about what works best for you. What are your favorite mindfulness habits and practices?