During this college, participants will be challenged to develop realistic expectations for their new farm business. They will receive information on getting started, identifying the strengths and weaknesses of their property, and developing a farm business plan. Information on farm finances, insurance, liability, labor and marketing will be covered during the college. The topics included in this workshop include:
October 24th-Getting Started on Your New Farm Business
- Developing real-life expectations for your farm.
- Examining the available resources and opportunities for your property.
- Developing a farm business plan, including setting your family and farm mission, goals and objectives.
- An introduction to marketing and selling agricultural products.
October 31st–Money, Money, Money! Managing your Farm Finances
- Developing a family and farm balance sheet.
- Using enterprise budgets to project farm income.
- Recordkeeping for farm businesses and farm taxes.
- Managing family and farm income and expenses.
November 7th–There’s More to Farming than Just Growing Stuff!
- Farm Management for New Farms
- Setting up your farm business, including choosing a business entity and obtaining employer identification numbers.
- Farm taxes.
- Obtaining farm financing.
- Insurance and liability for farms.
- Licenses and permits needed for a small farm business.
- Employer responsibilities related to farm labor and labor laws.
Farm Tour (Date & Location TBD)
Each site host will be planning a farm tour so participants can visit with a successful local farming operation to learn how they started and what they have learned during the development of their farm business.
Registration: The cost is $30 for the first person and $15 for each additional. Registration is limited to the first 50 registrants per location. Registration deadline is October 17th. There are two methods to register for this college. Registration on-line can be made at: go.osu.edu/smallfarmcollegereg Registration can also be made by mailing in a registration form to the site host for the location you plan to attend. Click here for registration flyer.
Mail Registrations for Coshocton County Site to:
OSU Extension –Coshocton County
c/o David Marrison
724 South 7thStreet, Room 110
Coshocton, OH 43812
Mail Registrations for Greene County Site to:
OSU Extension –Greene County
c/o Trevor Corboy
100 Fairground Road
Xenia, OH 45385
For more information about the Coshocton County location, contact David Marrison at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (740)722-6073
For more information about the Greene County location, contact Trevor Corboy at email@example.com or (937)736-7203