Dear 4-H and FFA Market Beef Exhibitors:
Enclosed you will find information concerning 2021/2022 Greene County 4-H and FFA market beef program.
Market steers and market heifer weigh-in will be held on Saturday, December 4, 2021, at the Greene County Fairgrounds, from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. We will be in Barn 1 (Sheep/Goat/Rabbit) this year. Please enter and exit the fairgrounds through the Omalee Drive Gate. There is another event taking place on the fairgrounds at the same time and we are trying to keep the traffic separated.
All market beef projects (market steers, market heifers, scramble calves, and dairy market steers) must be secured, weighed and EID ear-tagged at this time to be eligible to show at the 2022 Greene County Fair. Also at this time, the Beef Committee must be notified of any market animals that are being raised as “homegrown” market animals.
All youth must weigh-in at county weigh-in to be eligible to show at the Ohio State Fair.
Market animals, including State Fair exhibitors, must be secured, weighed and EID ear-tagged by the Greene County 4-H and FFA Beef Committee on the first Saturday in December. The Ohio State Fair requires all market beef entered in the 2022 Ohio State Fair to have individual DNA samples taken from each animal that may potentially be entered. These DNA samples must be in the possession of the Ohio State Fair by January 15. Attached is a document containing sample collection instructions. Please read the attached instructions that will be a part of each sample collection kit, and contact the Ohio State Fair, if you have any questions (Virgil Strickler, V.Strickler@expo.ohio.gov). We will have limited kits at weigh-in for those who are attending OSF. Prior to submission, the nomination envelope for each sample kit remitted must be signed by either the 4-H professional or FFA advisor, depending in which organization the youth is taking the market animal(s).
Project requirements: Additional requirements will be in the Greene County Fair Book. You can also link to this book from our website at www.greene.osu.edu
|Project||Permitted to Weigh-in||Show|
- It is recommended that beef steers or heifers should weigh at least 500lbs and dairy steers should weigh at least 650lbs as of weigh-in on December 4, 2021.
- No bull claves will be weighed.
- Dairy steers must be 100% dairy selected from the following breeds: Holstein, Brown Swiss, Ayrshire, or a cross between these. The Beef Committee reserves the right to reject any animals of questionable heritage at the December weigh-in. If any animal is rejected by the committee, the member will be given one week to secure a new calf and bring it back to the fairground to weigh-in. A second rejection is elimination from the show.
- There will be a $10.00 tag in fee per market animal being weighed in at December weigh-in. All checks should be made payable to: Greene County 4-H and FFA Beef Committee.
- All beef animals must weigh at least 900 pounds at the Saturday weigh-in of fair to compete for champion market beef.
- All beef cattle that are not selling will be released after the completion of the show on Thursday but MUST be taken home by noon on Friday. Exhibitors need to leave stalls area presentable: manure, hay, feed, trash, etc., need to be removed. Mulch can be left. This is to avoid wrong animals being loaded onto the livestock trailer during and after the market beef sale.
- Copies of the Beef Barn rules will be available to exhibitors at the December weigh-in. We have updated and revised some rules and want to make sure that everyone is informed. Rules are also posted on the Greene County Extension Office website.
Any beef exhibitor needing advice or guidance dealing with selection, raising and preparation for fair or showing, should contact the Greene County Extension Office or a Greene County 4-H and FFA Beef Committee member. The extension office will provide names of committee members and their phone number upon request.
We hope to see you on Saturday, December 4, 2021.