Established over 100 years ago (1914), how does the national Cooperative Extension Service serve communities now? These resources will focus on Ohio State University Extension, with a brief history and current highlights. Emphasis will be on Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) programming for individuals and families across the lifespan.
If you attended 2022, August 1st session at OATFCS and need additional materials, please email Patrice at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLASS PARTICIPANTS: please take a moment to complete an evaluation for the August 1st session. Click HERE (IF promoted, for an access code, please use R-Zfd0mvuUoEngrtv (the first 0 is a zero)
A copy of the PowerPoint can be found HERE.
- History of APLU (Association of Public and Land-grant Universities)
- Cooperative Extension History (brief overview) by National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- Evolution of Family and Consumer Sciences in Land-Grant Universities adapted from 2015 Battelle Report
Links to Other Resources:
- NIFA Land Grant Colleges and Universities (USA map)
- Ohio Housing Finance Agency (OHFA)
- Chop Chop cooking magazine https://www.chopchopfamily.org/
OSU Extension Programs and Resources:
- Links to every OSU Extension office (listed by county) https://extension.osu.edu/locate-an-office
- OSU Extension, Family and Consumer Sciences (also listed above in first paragraph)
- Real Money. Real World. youth-focused financial literacy program
- Get Answers (Agriculture) at agnr.osu.edu/get-answers
- Ask a Master Gardener mastergardener.osu.edu/ask
- Ohioline connects to hundreds of OSU Extension fact sheets covering a wide array of subjects such as agriculture and natural resources, family and consumer sciences, community development, and 4-H youth development. ohioline.osu.edu/
- Ohio 4-H Youth Development
- 4H Youth Development Garden and Plant Science project books for purchase extensionpubs.osu.edu/all-publications/4-h/natural-resources/gardening-and-plant-science/
- Celebrate Your Plate – find online recipes for low-cost, tasty meals that everyone in your family will enjoy https://celebrateyourplate.org
- Community Nutrition Education community classes – SNAP-Ed and EFNEP (Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program)
References: (in addition to those listed above)
Clark-Robinson, M. (2021). Standing on Her Shoulders: a Celebration of Women. (L. Freeman, Illus.). Orchard Books.
Donnan, R. (1954). The Beginning of Agricultural Extension Work in Northwestern Ohio. The Historical Society of Northwestern Ohio, Toledo. Northwest Ohio Quarterly, Winter 1954, Volume XXVI – No. 1.
Dreilinger, D. (2021). The secret history of home economics: How trailblazing women harnessed the power of home and changed the way we live. W W Norton & Company.
McGregor, S. (2020). Home ecology to home economics and beyond: Ellen Swallow Richards’ disciplinary contributions. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences. Vol. 112 No. 2.
Miami University. Digital Collections. Alice Swisher Memorial: https://digital.lib.miamioh.edu/digital/collection/facmem/id/209
Nickols, S., Ralston, P., Anderson, C., Browne, L., Schroeder, G., Thomas, S., and Wild, P. (2009). The family and consumer sciences body of knowledge and the cultural kaleidoscope: Research opportunities and challenges. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, vol 37:3: 266-283.