March 8, 9, 11, and 12, 2021
Online via Zoom
(Detailed agenda below)
Thinking about registering for the Bootcamp? Here are some things to keep in mind:
- While these workshops are hosted by SciPhD, and many of the examples come from science and engineering, the material is easily translatable into any field! We welcome postdocs and graduate students from all disciplines to sign up.
- This workshop series is very interactive. Attendees will get the most out of the series by participating in each webinar, their assigned breakout sessions, and doing the short homework assignments between meetings. Therefore, we ask that you only sign up if you are able to participate in all sessions! If you sign up and then find out you cannot attend, please cancel your registration via email email@example.com.
- Postdocs enrolled in the Postdoctoral Professional Development Certificate program may get credit by attending this event. Please be sure to request the event on BuckeyeLearn before June 5th to ensure you get credit.
Hear what postdocs who attended in previous years have to say about the Bootcamp!
“The SciPhD event was pivotal in my career development. It helped me to recognize the skills I have that businesses are looking for and how to leverage those skills in the application and interview process. I am now working for a company doing data analysis, and I love what I do!”
“The sessions on communications and negotiations were fascinating and demystifying. They helped turn a dreaded task like negotiation into something much more manageable and practical.”
“The SciPhD workshops made the process of applying for non-academic positions more concrete and less daunting. I learned how to plan practical steps towards a career and market myself outside of academia, which ultimately helped me secure a non-academic research position.”
“I liked that it was focused on industry, since postdocs are less familiar with industry coming from an academic institution. The presenters were friendly, helpful, and the interactive conversations with the audience were great.”
About the Speakers
Human Workflows and SciPhD co-founder Dr. Randall Ribaudo has over twenty years of experience in the Scientific Research and biotechnology field and has successfully made the transition from academia to industry. Dr. Ribaudo spent more than five years at Celera Genomics as a liaison to pharmaceutical, biotechnology and academic communities, was a product manager, and led a strategic task force. Dr. Ribaudo also has extensive experience in academic research. After receiving a Ph.D. in Immunology, and a postdoctoral fellowship at the NIH, he became a Principal Investigator at the National Cancer Institute. Dr. Ribaudo’s experience as an academic and industry scientist, coupled with his experience consulting with industry scientists provides unique insight to the critical skills necessary to promote success in academic and industry settings, and forms the basis for the SciPhD training programs.
Larry started his career as a Health Physicist. He quickly recognized the importance of mastering communications and added a degree in applied behavioral sciences with continuing studies in the social neurosciences. He continues to consult as an Executive Communications Coach with Fortune 100 clients as well as startups. His experience in 360° performance coaching, behavioral based blended training, process improvement techniques, selling skills and leadership development provides an in-depth corporate understanding. Larry has served in Training and Human Resources VP positions in a variety of industries. Larry holds a BS in Chemistry, an MS from Rutgers University in Environmental Radiation Sciences, an MS from Johns Hopkins University in Applied Behavioral Sciences and additional graduate studies in Executive Development at George Washington University.
Monday, March 8
- Zoom Webinar: The Business of Science 9-10:30
- Zoom Webinar: Dissecting a Job Ad to Identify Critical Skills 11-12:30
Tuesday, March 9
- Zoom Meeting: Communications 9-10:30
- Zoom Meeting with Breakout Rooms: Behavioral Interview Exercise 11-1
Thursday, March 11
- Zoom Meeting with Breakout Rooms: Applied Networking 1-4
- VIP Networking Reception 4:30-6:30
Friday, March 12
- Zoom Meeting: Project Management 9-11
- Zoom Webinar: Negotiating your Salary 11-12
- Zoom Webinar: Wrap-Up and Q&A 12-1