MGV Demonstration Gardens May 9-18

May 9-15

Straw Bale Garden was planted on 5/8

I started my water week 5/9-5/15

We started with some chilly weather this week, Sunday was cold with rain through most of the day. Monday was damp, cloudy, and windy. Temperatures dipped into the low 30’s

By Tuesday the new plantings were looking frostbit and weather-worn, however mushroom activity was starting to form. Susan started covering bails with sheets at night, Wednesday low Temps cloudy and cold, we keep plantings covered I watered under the sheets. Finally, Thursday brought sunshine and temps in the mid-60s.

I removed covers for some much-needed sun. Took a few pictures, some of the seedlings were beginning to sprout.

Friday we had mostly sunny skies and temps in the high 60’s. Some of the plantings were beginning to stand up straight again and show new promise of growth.

Submitted by Linda Alford, OSU Extension Clermont County Master Gardener Volunteer

May 18

Beans, pumpkins, cucumbers, and lettuce are emerging today. Some of the tomatoes and peppers took a hit with the frost. Mushrooms are everywhere- a good sign!
Submitted by Susan Givler, OSU Extension Clermont County Master Gardener Volunteer