The Ohio State Fair is quickly approaching. In the past, each year, hundreds of thousands of our closest friends gathered to make memories and enjoy their fair favorites – food, the butter cow, a visit with Smokey Bear, a performance by the All-Ohio State Fair Band, or a run in the show ring. The 2021 Ohio State Fair will only feature livestock competitions and educational competition such as 4-H project judging.
We are accepting applications for Educational Assistants for the 2021 Ohio State Fair. This is a paid position. The first day of work would be around July 25 and ending on August 9. Unfortunately, housing will not be available in the Rhodes Center Dormitory this year.
All applications MUST also be completed on-line in Workday. Applicants can enter the Student Job Board in Workday by completing the following steps:
- Log into Workday: https://www.myworkday.com/osu
- Enter the Careers Application on the home page.
- Select *Search Student Jobs*
- Search for the R17134 4-H Educational Assistant job.
Ohio 4-H youth skillathon information for virtual and in-person sessions is now online. Rules and flyer for both are also posted.
Virtual Skillathon Registration is Due by, June 14th, 2021! Register Here
- Those exhibiting at Ohio State Fair and want to be eligible for OUTSTANDING MARKET EXHIBITOR (OME) awards must participate at the IN-PERSON skillathons at the state fair.
- Those exhibiting at Ohio State Fair and want to be eligible f or OUTSTANDING BREEDING EXHIBITOR (OBE) awards must participate in the VIRTUAL skillathons online.
The postmark deadline for entries for both the Poultry Judging Contest and Avian Bowl is Friday, June 25. Both Contests will be held at the Department of Animal Sciences on Saturday, July 17th. See below for rules, poultry Calendar of Events page, and entry forms.
Please be aware that although the state of Ohio is currently scheduled to lift several COVID-19 restrictions at the beginning of June, The Ohio State University, and therefore Ohio 4-H, may still mandate restrictions.
- For the 2021 Avian Bowl and Poultry Judging Contests, unless announced otherwise, everyone (contestants, volunteers, advisors, family members, officials, etc.) will be required to wear a mask when in the contest rooms or walking around the building (to/from contest rooms, to/from the restroom, etc.). All teams will have assigned areas to maintain social distancing where they may take their masks off when seated in their assigned area.
- Failure to abide by these guidelines will result in the disqualification of the entire team.
Poultry and Avian Rules, Calendar of Events, and Entry Forms
The 2021 Ohio State Fair livestock schedule is now posted at: ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock-schedule/.
Livestock competitions are open to Ohio exhibitors only. Registration and entry books will be available soon.
Dates/times, rules, and registration for Ohio Youth Skillathons are now online at: https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/ohio-youth-skillathons
Registration is due by JULY 15th, 2020.
- Register by visiting: www.go.osu.edu/skillathonregistration
- All exhibitors with need an email address specific to that exhibitor that can be used as your log-in credential (this is also where the first-time registration will be)
RULES & REGULATIONS
Congratulations to all our 4-Hers that completed their general projects and attended judging! Everyone did a FANTASTIC job!
We invite all club members and their families to attend the 4-H Style Revue and Winners’ Circle!
The 4-H Style Revue will be held on Saturday, July 20, at 1:00 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Building. The Winners’ Circle ceremony will be held immediately following the 4-H Style Revue at approximately 2:00 p.m. Style Review and Winners’ Circle recognize members who completed a general project and participated in General Project Judging. We will announce placings, as well as, state fair delegates.
Changes are in the Air! In 2019, this program will referred to as the Ohio Lamb and Wool Ambassador Program, the person selected will serve as an ambassador for the industry throughout their year of reign at numerous promotional events and activities around the state.
Selection takes place at the Ohio State Fair. Contestants will attend an interview and answer an impromptu question from a panel of judges at the conclusion of the Ohio State Fair Guys and Gals lead competition. The selection of the ambassador is based on personality, presentation, poise and knowledge of the Ohio Sheep, Lamb and Wool industry.
Please note: this contest has been opened up to both male and female contestants.
Contestants are encouraged to participate in the Ohio State Fair Guys and Gals Lead competition and we encourage all youth between the ages of 17-22 who are involved in the industry to consider applying for this position. This is a tremendous opportunity to build a wealth of knowledge of the Ohio sheep, lamb and wool industry, expand communication skills, and network within Ohio agriculture.
If you or someone you know is interested in applying for the 2019-2020 Ohio Lamb and Wool Ambassador, please download the application by visiting ohiosheep.org . All applications must be postmarked to the Ohio State Fair by June 20, 2019.
If you would like more information on the Ohio Lamb and Wool Ambassador contest or would like the 2018-19 Ohio Lamb and Wool Queen Kait Stillion to make an appearance at your local event, please contact Kristin Reese at 614-582-3208 or localfarmmom@gmail.
Google Doc Application Available here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSebKFGD6NRDjR0oElHKx1kCKtOajpR1EzTXl0CFRSpWnutl-A/viewform
If you exhibit at the Ohio State Fair and meet the scholarship eligibility requirements, don’t miss out on this scholarship opportunity!
In an effort to recognize outstanding Ohio youth and to help those interested in furthering their education, the Ohio Expositions Commission has established a scholarship program. The purpose of these scholarships is to assist high school juniors and seniors (2018-2019) and graduates who are continuing their education at an accredited institution in an undergraduate course of study in any field.
Available scholarships include seven Endowment Fund scholarships; (3) Jr. Fair Beef Cattle, (3) Jr. Fair Swine, and (3) Jr. Fair Sheep Exhibitor scholarships, (2) Jr. Fair Poultry, (2) Jr. Fair Dairy Cattle Exhibitor and (2) Jr. Fair Horse Exhibitor scholarships; (1) Jr. Fair Dairy Goat, (1) Jr. Fair Boer Goat, (1) Jr. Fair Rabbit, and (1) Jr. Fair Dog Exhibitor scholarship; and (3) Jr. Fair Exhibits & Activities scholarships. All of the scholarships offered are $1,000 each, except for the Governor James A. Rhodes Junior Fair Endowment Fund Scholarship which is $1,500.
Scholarships will be awarded to junior exhibitors during the Ohio State Fair. Applicants will be judged on scholastic standing, citizenship and leadership, Ohio State Fair participation, county fair participation, and financial need. Completed applications must be postmarked by April 15, 2019.
Scholarship information and the application can be found at https://ohiostatefair.com/scholarships/
Mark your calendars for a Multi-County 4-H Training on Thursday, February 28. Great way for 4-H Volunteers to get their mandatory Policy 1.50 Training (two sessions offered) and youth to get their Quality Assurance Training.
Register today at: go.osu.edu/2019multicountytraining.
- Policy 1.50 – Two sessions offered. Come early for the 6:30 class.
- Livestock Updates and Quality Assurance – from Lizz Share, State Extension Specialist, 4-H/Youth Development Livestock and Food Animal Programs
- Cloverbud Volunteer Resources
- Cake Decorating & Creative Arts
- Teen Trips & Opportunities
- Growing Great Qualities in Kids
- How to Complete Your 4-H Project
Don’t miss this exciting opportunity for youth and adult volunteers!
Attention Youth Interested in the Ohio 4-H State Skillathon Team:
There will be an information session on January 20th, 2019, (2:00 – 4:00 PM) at the Animal Sciences Building (2029 Fyffe Rd, Columbus, OH 43210) for those interested in an opportunity to be chosen to represent Ohio during the National 4-H Livestock Skillathon Contest in Louisville in November.
Anyone interested is encouraged to attend the January session to ask any questions, etc. Please respond with your intentions to be at the first session to Lizz Share at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please respond by January 16th, 2019.
Starting in January, practice sessions will be conducted to work on individual and team activities on Sunday afternoons (2:00 – 4:00 PM) located at the Animal Sciences Building (2029 Fyffe Rd, Columbus, OH 43210).
- Sunday, January 20th (informational, parents are welcome to attend)
- Sunday, February 17th
- Sunday, March 17th
- Sunday, April 14th
- Sunday, May 19th
- July – Ohio State Fair Skillathons
- Sunday, August 18th
- Sunday, September 8th
- Sunday, September 22nd (Mock Contest and selection of team)
- Additional practices in Oct/Nov for team members
The practices in Sept/Oct/Nov are mandatory and you must be able to attend the mock contest to be eligible for the team.