This Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden’s upcoming Plant Trials Day Symposium will be epic. Seven great talks by a truly amazing group of speakers, including legendary plant explorer, author and founder of Heronswood Nursery, Dan Hinkley; world-renowned plantsman, author, and Director of the Yorkshire Arboretum, John Grimshaw; author Marianne Wilburn; past President of Perennial Plant Association and Gardener at the Ripley Garden at the National Mall, Janet Draper; and Scott Beuerlein from the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden.
Registration is now open for both in-person seating and virtual live streaming. A link to a recording will be available to all registrants and viewable through October 15. This excellent program will be in high demand. We encourage you to register as soon as you can.
CEUs are approved for: ASLA (7), APLD (5.5), ISA (6), OGIA (1), PGMS (1). For student discounts, sponsorships, or handicapped parking, please contact email@example.com.
Event Info & Tickets
A common question when starting the estate planning process is: do I need a will or trust? There are a number of factors that must be considered before this question can be answered. A trust is a common estate planning tool but not everyone needs one. Oftentimes, the best plan includes only a will. The following are […]
Read more of this post
by Robert Moore, Attorney, OSU Agricultural & Resource Law Program
The Western Ohio Cropland Values and Cash Rents Survey Summary 2021-22 has been completed and posted to the Farm Office page:
A blog post is also available highlighting the key findings:
***Please keep in mind that these numbers do not reflect southwest Ohio counties. They are west central and northwest Ohio counties. In the future, if we receive more data points from southwest Ohio producers and landowners, then we could have our own reference points. Please consider filling out the survey in the future.
Don’t forget to recycle your pesticide containers on August 19th at the Nutrien location in Melvin. Information is included below.
2022 Pesticide Container Recycle Day B
We would like to invite you to attend the 2022 Southwest Ohio Corn Growers and Fayette Agronomy Field Day on August 16th beginning at 9:00 AM. We have a great line-up of speakers, exhibitors, and food for an exciting, educational day of agronomy and farm-related activities. We also are offering health screening and tetanus shots for those who are interested. We would like to thank our show sponsors for 2022 for their help in making this event possible. Show sponsors are Seed Consultants, Fayette Travel and Tourism, Seed Genetics – DIRECT, and the Ohio Corn and Wheat Growers Association. We will have a drawing for 2 – $500 gift cards for Corn Grower Members. Membership opportunities will also be available on-site.
Six new articles have been posted on 8/17 issue number 1307 of the Ohio BEEF Cattle letter: http://u.osu.edu/beef/
Are grazers and livestock producers in the driver’s seat when it comes to merchandising carbon credits? Mike Estadt explores that potential this week.
Articles this week include:
- Carbon . . . a new source of income for grazers?
- The effect of deworming naturally infected heifers on live weight gain, reproductive performance, and fecal egg counts
- Manure Nutrient Management Day
- USDA-FSA’s Livestock Indemnity Program
- August Cattle on Feed Preview: Drought and Feeder Cattle Supplies
- Strong Demand
Five new articles have been posted on 8/10 issue number 1306 of the Ohio BEEF Cattle letter: http://u.osu.edu/beef/
By mid-next year several livestock antibiotics that have typically been available over the counter such as oxytetracycline and penicillin will require a prescription. This week Tim McDermott explains.
Articles this week include:
- Changes to livestock antibiotics coming next year
- Plan Now for Fall Fertilization of Perennial Forages
- “Be sure and close the gate, son” – Managing our pastures during drought
- Stockpiling for Winter Grazing
- Fed Cattle Insurance
- 2022 Fall Statewide Ohio Sheep Shearing School Announced
- Dr. Brady Campbell, Assistant Professor, OSU State Small Ruminant Extension Specialist The Ohio State University departments of Animal Sciences and Extension are pleased to announce
- Data Driven Decisions
- Changes to Livestock Antibiotics Coming in 2023
- Dr. Tim McDermott, OSU Extension Educator ANR, Franklin County There are some changes coming to the availability of over the counter antibiotics that the livestock
- Flushing The Ewe Flock: Is It Beneficial?
- Anita O’Brien, Sheep and Goat Specialist, Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (Previously published online as an OMAFRA publication: February 11, 2010) The practice
- Goat and Sheep Management Preparing for the Breeding Season
- Plan Now for Fall Pasture Fertilization
- Dr. Mark Sulc, OSU Extension Forage Specialist, The Ohio State University Greg LaBarge, OSU Field Specialist, Agronomic Systems Department of Extension Early fall is one
Learn about horticultural, plant pathological, and entomological problems and opportunities. Time will be spent looking at insect and disease samples from the arboretum.
Speakers include Joe Boggs, OSU Entomology; Jim Chatfield, OSU Emeritus; Paul Snyder, OSU, Secrest Arboretum; Denise Ellsworth, OSU Entomology; Dan Herms, Research VP, Davey Tree Expert Co.
CE credits are available.
Our next A DAY in the WOODS program “Identifying the Trees in Your Woods” will be offered at the Vinton Furnace State Forest on Friday, August 12.
Registration information and details about this program can be found at: Identifying the Trees in Your Woods
Also don’t forget to remember to check out our tree identification videos at: go.osu.edu/treeid
Information about our remaining A DAY in the WOODS programs for 2022 can be found at: u.osu.edu/seohiowoods/brochure