Sponsored by the Office of International Affairs, the Office of Research and PHPID
This grant competition, with separate tracks for faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students, is sponsored by the Office of International Affairs (OIA), the Office of Research and PHPID.
PHPID co-sponsors a specific track for faculty research projects engaged in a wide spectrum of interests and subject matter related to the Public Health Preparedness for Infectious Disease initiative.
Proposals are sought for a wide range of research projects, including those that:
* Promote active research collaborations between Ohio State faculty and partners
* Address global issues (e.g. public health, public policy, climate change, sustainability) in a regional context
* Connect discipline-specific research to the implementation of projects and programs in diverse geopolitical and cultural settings
* Explore the languages, cultures, arts, politics, economy, or socio-demographic aspects of an international region
* Promote the understanding of countries, cultures and peoples though academic study
International Affairs Research Grants are available in the following categories:
* Faculty Research
* Faculty Research (PHPID track)
* Graduate Student Research
* Undergraduate Student Research
* Project Criteria
The competition supports proposals from all academic disciplines for proposed research projects in any world region, addressing any of the Discovery Themes (Health and Wellness, Energy and Environment, and Food Production and Security, Humanities and Arts.)
Preference may be given to projects involving the Global Gateway countries (Brazil, China, India) or certain countries with increasing collaborative activity (Ethiopia, Tanzania and Turkey.)
Proposals for specific research projects can request funds to support:
* Travel expenses related to research or a research collaboration (transportation, lodging, airfare, other)
* Research project expenses (acquiring data, supplies and materials, other)
* Development of faculty manuscripts and publications
* Costs for development and hosting of a conference, workshop, speaker series (professional conference travel is not eligible for support)
* For students: PhD dissertation and pre-dissertation research, MA thesis projects, faculty guided undergraduate student research projects
The total amount of funding available to award in this competition (across all tracks) is approximately $90,000-100,000. The competition will fund between 10 and 15 awards of $ 3,000 to $ 8,000
Applicants with winning grant proposals will be informed during spring semester 2016.
Award funds are distributed in the form of a budget transfer to the applicant’s home department.
Funds may be accessed during the term of the award from Spring 2016 to Summer 2017.
For student applicants:
Student activities are subject to university requirements regarding travel to risk-designated countries. http://oia.osu.edu/application-and-policies/travel-to-risk-designated-countries.html
All Ohio State students traveling abroad for academic purposes must be enrolled in international supplemental insurance, providing not only health insurance, but coverage for emergency assistance, evacuation and repatriation.
Proposals from students must include:
* The 2015 International Affairs Enrichment Grants common application and budget form
* A brief abstract, not to exceed 1 page (double spaced, 12 pt. font)
* A 3-5 page (double spaced, 12 pt. font) narrative proposal
* A short (not to exceed four pages) curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé of the student applicant
* A copy of the student’s advising report (available for download from Buckeye Link)
* A letter of recommendation from an Ohio State faculty member, such as the dissertation/thesis advisor if appropriate
Academic Enrichment Grants Common Application 2015
Complete applications must be submitted electronically in PDF (preferred) or Word format via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is Tuesday, December 1, 2015 by 11:59 p.m.
For more information or to ask questions regarding applications, please send an email to email@example.com or call 614-688-5482.