Though we are uncertain what the actual bike ride in August will look like right now, Pelotonia is looking at several options such as having smaller, in person rides, or a completely virtual ride. Regardless of what the ride looks like this year, cancer research has not stopped, and our medical professionals need our help now more than ever. Will you join us?
What is Pelotonia?
Founded in Columbus, OH in 2009, Pelotonia started as a grassroots bike tour. Ten years later, Pelotonia has raised over $200 million for cancer research.
Why get involved?
The funds raised by Pelotonia are donated to the OSU James Comprehensive Cancer Center. Money is used by researchers (including a number of students supported on fellowships) and medical professionals at our university to get closer to achieving Pelotonia’s one goal: cure cancer.
In addition, this year Pelotonia in collaboration with OSUCCC-James and the broader Ohio State University research enterprise, has created a research fund with an initial pledge of $1 million to investigate the impact of COVID-19 on the cancer community.
You can read about Pelotonia’s impact at OSU, including stories of riders and those who have been impacted by the annual event, on our Team Buckeye webpage.
How to get involved?
Check out Pelotonia’s new website with information and updates specific to this time, including fun virtual events, a community forum where you can submit cool stories you see happening or are a part of, and lots of other resources.
- Go to the Pelotonia website and click on the Register tab on the top left side of the page.
- Virtual Riders and Volunteers do not pay a registration fee.
- Typically, riders must commit to raising a certain amount of funds each year, however fundraising commitments for 2020 will not be enforced. This is a great year to get involved as a rider if you may have previously been deterred by any fundraising commitments!
- Members are encouraged to raise whatever amount they feel comfortable with, but your credit card will not be charged if the minimum commitment isn’t met.
- Check out the FAQs on the PelotoniaRISE microsite for details on fundraising as well as lots of information about how Pelotonia is supporting the bigger community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- During registration you will be prompted to join a peloton (team). Click on the drop box and find pelotons starting with Team Buckeye.
- Many Advancement members have connected with Team Buckeye – Alumni & Friends which includes staff from 1480 West Lane, the Alumni Association and Advancement staff from across the University.
- If you’ve wanted to participate in Pelotonia, but were concerned about the fundraising, 2020 is your chance to become part of the Pelotonia community.
TO RAISE MONEY:
- All Pelotonia merchandise sales have 100% of net profits going toward helping healthcare workers at The James and OSU Wexner Medical Center. This year, there is even a new arrow design to honor our healthcare workers, designed in coordination with Team Buckeye (available in red or blue).
- Download the PULLL app and connect to the Team Buckeye Private Reserve.
- PULLL is an app created by Pelotonia that tracks your physical activity (walking, running, swimming, going to the gym, etc.). Every time you start the app and are active, you earn micro-donations based on time or distance. These micro-donations are directed to your Pelotonia profile at various points in the year. In order to get donations using PULLL, you must connect your account to the Team Buckeye private reserve fund.
- Complete details about PULLL can be found here on the Pelotonia website. To start, you simply download the free app to your android or iPhone and set up an account.
- All Team Buckeye members who download PULLL should also connect to the Private Reserve.
- WHY? You will earn more money for your activity by being in the Private Reserve.
- Download the free PULLL app (green background, white arrow) from the App Store or Google Play Store and set up your account
- Include your Pelotonia Rider ID to connect your PULLL account with your Pelotonia profile.
- Go to www.pulll.org/osu on your mobile device, click the green “Join Now” button, and you’ll be connected to the Team Buckeye private reserve.
- A red arrow and “Powered by Buckeye Nation” should appear on your PULLL app “Start Activity” page, indicating you are in the private reserve.
- When you are ready to use the app, select the “Start Activity” button, select your activity, and click “Start.” Click “Stop” when you are done, and then click “Finish” to have your activity logged.