By: Laura Lindsey, Ohio State University
Persistent wet weather is likely to push soybean planting into late June in many areas of the state. Late planting reduces the cultural practice options for row spacing, seeding rate, and relative maturity. Continue reading
By: Brenda Boetel, University of Wisconsin-River Falls
The USDA Crop Progress report released June 3, 2019 showed that as of the week ending June 2, 2019 only 67% of corn has been planted, compared to 96% in 2018. The July, September and December 2019 CME corn futures market contracts have increased an average of $0.59 since May 1. The average May change over the last 5 years has been a decrease of $0.11. Given the significant decrease in plantings and the percentage of corn that has been planted late, corn price may continue to increase. While the trade concerns with Mexico are the bearish indicators the decrease in acres will likely have a greater impact. Continue reading
The 2019 Northwest Agronomic Field Day will be held at the Northwest Agricultural Research Station (4240 Range Line Road, Custar, OH) on Thursday, June 20th.
By: Ellen Essman, Ohio State University
The controversy over the 2015 Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule never really leaves the news. Continue reading
By: Alexander Lindsey, Rich Minyo, Allen Geyer, and Peter Thomison, Ohio State University
Farmers who still anticipate planting corn for grain production should review their hybrid maturities to minimize the risk of corn not maturing safely prior to a killing fall freeze. We would encourage the use of the Corn GDD Tool to select “safe” hybrid maturities for late planting (http://www.kingcorn.org/news/timeless/HybridMaturityDelayedPlant.html).
Farmers possess a lot of talents, but sometimes communication is not one of them. Telling our story though, is becoming increasingly important as consumers become further removed from production agriculture. Farmers currently comprise only 2% of the U.S. population. The question is, does the remaining 98% understand how farmers care for their land and livestock?
By: Bob Nielson, Purdue University
As May transitions to June, many Indiana corn growers are faced with substantial acreage yet to plant. Statewide, as of May 26 (USDA-NASS, 2019), only 22% of the state’s corn crop was estimated to have been planted. That disappointing planting progress positions the 2019 planting season AT THE MOMENT just slightly ahead of the similarly slow 1996, which currently holds the unenviable record for the most delayed planting season in the past 40 years. AND, there is still a chance we will surpass (or should I say “fall behind”?) that record by the time this planting season is finished. In the remaining days of May, thunderstorms continued to rumble across the state… sometimes across the north… sometimes across the south… sometimes through the central counties. Unless a rapid shift from rainy to sunny, warm, and windy occurs soon, the prospects of serious planting progress through the first week of June are dismal.
Slowest planting seasons since 1980.
Farmers are no strangers to stress. Their livelihood is dependent on factors they cannot control, including weather, market volatility, and government regulations. This planting (or lack of) season is no exception thanks to Mother Nature, and the relentless rain. It is important though, for farmers and their loved ones to prioritize their health, especially in times of difficulty. Continue reading
By: Mark Loux, Ohio State University
We’re running about a month behind in many cases, and with respect to weeds we are a month later than normal in implementing herbicide programs. The most important thing to know about this is that we are well into the period of summer annual weed emergence, most of which occurs between early May and the end of June, which overall shortens the period of weed control that we need and allows earlier application of POST herbicides. There are some advantages to this – here’s what it means for those fields just planted or that will still be planted within the next couple weeks: Continue reading
By: Stan Smith, Ohio State University
Today, as we sit here on May 28, we know three things for certain:
- Ohio has the lowest inventory of hay since the 2012 drought and the 4th lowest in 70 years.
- Ohio’s row crops will not get planted in a timely fashion this year.
- Despite improvement in the grain markets over the past week or two, for those with coverage, Prevented Planting Crop Insurance payments may still yield more income than growing a late planted corn or soybean crop this year