‘Imagine a world without birdsong’: Environmental Film Series continues Oct. 23

Ohio State’s 2017 Environmental Film Series continues on Monday, Oct. 23, from 7 to 9 p.m. with “The Messenger: Imagine a World Without Birdsong.”

The film, according to its website, “is a visually thrilling ode to the beauty and importance of the imperiled songbird, and what it means to all of us on both a global and human level if we lose them.” Filming locations ranged from the boreal forest to Turkey’s Mount Ararat to New York City’s streets.

‘Birds I used to see were no longer around’

“In recent years I noticed that birds I used to see – an evening grosbeak, a flycatcher, a barn swallow — were no longer around,” says Canadian writer-director Su Rynard, also on the film’s website.

“With my busy life, I thought maybe I was just missing them. Then I discovered that this was not the case. Songbirds are disappearing, and their absence is a message to us all.”

Discussion

Dawn Tabata, executive director of the Grange Insurance Audubon Center in Columbus, and Chris Tonra, assistant professor of avian wildlife ecology in CFAES’s School of Environment and Natural Resources, will lead a discussion after the screening.

Admission

Admission is free and open to the public; free pizza and beverages at 6:45 p.m. Meet in Room 130 in the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry (CBEC) Building on the university’s Columbus campus.

Sponsors

CFAES’s Environmental Professionals Network (EPN) and Ohio State’s Office of Energy and Environment are the co-sponsors of the series, which runs six consecutive Mondays through Nov. 20. Next is “Chasing Coral” on Oct. 30.