In this issue:
- 2022 4-H Calendar And Fair Schedule
- Online DUNF Form
- Stock the Trailer Food Drive Contest
- Jr. Fair Livestock Sale Information
- Barn Decorating and Miscellaneous Contests
- Special Interest Judging, Horseless Horse, and You and Your Dog
- Special Interest Auction
- 4-H Project Guidelines
- Scholarship Reminders
- State Opportunities
Upcoming Events: View the full calendar here
The 2022 4-H calendar is available here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-calendar
*Fair schedule for 2022 posted at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/fair-schedule
July 1 – Green Range 4-H Livestock Scholarship Due
July 4 – Office Closed – Independence Day
July 8 – Livestock Move In
July 9 – Special Interest and You and Your Dog Judging Day
July 9-16 – Madison County Fair! Check the scheduled linked above for show times and events
2022 Madison County Fair Schedule and Fair Book Available!
The 2022 Madison County Fair schedule and Fair Book is posted at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/fair-schedule.
Please review the schedule and your species guidelines! Note that MOVE IN for all species is FRIDAY, July 8!
ONLINE Drug Use Notification Form
We will once again be filling out the DUNF forms (indicating drug use in market or lactating animals) ONLINE! See below for details. It is due AT CHECK IN!
- This year, Drug Use Notification Forms are completed on an electronic survey again. You must complete your form at www.go.osu.edu/madcoDUNF BY CHECK IN TIME for your species (Friday, July 9 from 5-9pm. FORMS ARE ONLY REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Market: steers, goats, swine, sheep, and poultry
- Lactating: dairy cows and goats
- You must complete a form for each market or lactating animal you are bringing to the fair
- Do NOT complete for any animals not listed above
- Use the link: www.go.osu.edu/madcoDUNF or the QR codes found at check in and in the Fair Office in the Coughlin Building.
- WHEN COMPLETE: take a screen shot of your completion email to show the committee members at check in for your species.
- If you administer any drugs or medications to your animal after you complete the DUNF before check in, you MUST complete a new form for that animal with the drug information
Questions? Contact your species key leader or the Extension Office.
Stock the Trailer Contest – Food Drive During Fair Week!
The Madison County Jr. Fair Board is excited to participate in a new program this year offered through Farm Credit Mid America and Rural 1st – Fight the Hunger, Stock the Trailer! The challenge is to collect food donations during the county fair for the Madison County community for a chance to win up to $3,000 for the Jr. Fair Program! Prize money will be awarded to use to junior fair activities.
Bring your canned and non-perishable food items and bottled water (a list will be coming with specific items needed!) to the trailer parked by the Jr. Fair Board Office anytime during the week of fair to help us stock the trailer! We would like to thank Eby for allowing us to borrow a trailer for this project!
CONTEST: we will also be tracking by department (species and non-livestock) for a special contest! The department that brings the MOST items will win a special prize 🙂
Jr. Fair Livestock Sale Information
The Jr. Fair Livestock Sale begins Saturday, July 16 at 9am.
Sale order will be as follows: Swine, Goats, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbits, Beef and Dairy. Grand Showman of Showman will sell at 1 pm; Grand, Reserve, Species Showman of Showman and Premier Exhibitors will sell first with their respective species. The sale order will be finalized by Friday afternoon prior to the sale, but the first several swine exhibitors should be prepared to check in PRIOR to the 9 am start.
If you win either Grand or Reserve Champion for your sale species, you will be REQUIRED to move your animal to the Franklin Building behind the Eby Arena for viewing on Friday evening, July 15, 2022 by 7 pm. In addition, for those that win Grand or Reserve, you will be given the opportunity to bring your animal into the Livestock Sale when it is your time to sell.
Below you will find important documents/links:
1) Seller 101 – this document outlines what it means to sell your animal at the Premium Livestock Sale, what requirements must be met in order to sell at the Premium Livestock Sale, and other important information regarding the sale. You are expected to review and be familiar with the information included in this document.
2) Jr. Fair Sale Updates and Reminders Form that includes information about the following:
- A required sign up to support the various activities associated with the livestock sale. All youth and/or an adult family member will be required to sign up for at least one shift to support the sale Madison County Premium Livestock Sale VOLUNTEER SIGN UP
- Buyer gifts (new this year – No buyer gifts but an optional opportunity to support Sufficient Grace in lieu of buyer gifts)
- The opportunity to do online boosts or “add-on” payments
- W-9 Form: due at check in for your species
Questions? Contact Crystal Tubbs, Sales Committee Chair at (614-571-2067) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Barn Decorating and Fair Miscellaneous Contests (all details available at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/2022-fair-items/pdf/2022-Jr-Fair-Misc-Contests.pdf)
- Barn Decorating: Every club has the option to decorate around your kids projects in each barn. These will be judged on Sunday of fair week for a cash award! If your club is participating in barn decorating, there is no sign up. You can begin decorating your barns on Wednesday, July 6 at 4pm.
- Buyer Thank You Poster Contest: each exhibitor can make a poster to thank their previous year’s buyer! These are hung in the Eby arena. Posters must be turned in by the first Saturday at 8pm to the Jr. Fair Board office during fair week. Cash prizes are also given for the 1st place in each species!
- Cake Decorating Contest: anyone can participate in cake decorating on July 13 in the Della! There are various age categories (listed on the fair schedule). Simply arrive at your time, and try your hand and decorating a round cake form! Ribbons are give for the winners in each age group. Cloverbud have a division too! (Adults are welcome too!)
- Ag Olympics: Join the Jr. Fair Board on Friday around 2:30pm (after the Livestock 101 competition) at the Sheep Arena with your team of at least 4 members! Participants engage in fun activities to test their team work abilities and prizes are given! Teams can sign up in the JFB office anytime during fair week!
Special Interest Judging, You and Your Dog, and Horseless Horse
- All exhibitors taking a Special Interest (non-livestock) project should have received an email with details on their judging time.
- All judging information and project guidelines can be found at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/special-interest
- 2022 Judging Packet: Important information on the process for judging, what to bring, what to expect, award information, etc.
- 4-H Project General Guidelines: information on what to bring for each project and how to complete the project. Use the Control and F key to search your project name and view the requirements
- CLOTHING AND TEXTILES PROJECT INFORMATION: specific information for clothing and textiles projects, what to bring, expectations, judging tips, etc. Clothing projects will participate in a short skillathon judging in addition to the interview judging
- FOOD AND NUTRITION PROJECT INFORMATION: specifics for food and nutrition projects, what to bring. Nutrition projects will participate in a short skillathon judging in addition to the interview judging. *NOTE: Nutrition projects will bring a sample of food this year! check this document for more details
- Awards will be given out for Special Interest on July 12 at 7pm (NOT nutrition or clothing)
- Clothing and nutrition awards will take place with the Style Review on July 13th at 7pm.
- YOU AND YOUR DOG Judging will also take place July 9 during Special Interest Judging. Exhibitors received an email with more information on their project last week. Awards will be given during the Dog Show
- HORSELESS HORSE judging will take place Wednesday, July 13 at the Horse arena at 2pm. Exhibitors received an email with details! Awards will be given out shortly after judging at the arena
Special Interest Auction
All youth exhibiting a special interest project that are NOT selling a livestock animal in the Jr. Fair sale have the option to auction off an item related to your special interest project! The form below must be turned in at the time of judging check in and has the additional rules listed.
Special Interest Auction Entry Form and Rules
- When: Thursday, July 14, 2022 at 5:00pm (check in at 4:15 with item and get photo taken)
- Where: Della Selsor Building
- How: Turn in Auction Entry Form at Project Judging
- Item must be 60% homemade, raised, or in some way created by the exhibitor and must be related to your project. You may only enter 1 item per exhibitor.
This is a great oppportunity to invite your family and friends too, and reach out to your small businesses that would love to sponsor a project!
4-H Project Guidelines & Other Information
As you begin to work on your projects for 2022, check out some of our resources available! We have a project guidelines document that outlines every 4-H project and the basic requirements available at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection
For SPECIAL INTEREST PROJECTS, you can find additional resources, judging information, clinics, etc. at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/special-interest
For LIVESTOCK PROJECTS, you can find the project resources, fair information, clinics, skillathon information, and more at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/livestock-project
Animal Specific Information
Emails were sent to all families in early April will all details pertaining to your animal project. See below for a link to view that email message. Please review for details of what is required of your project!
**Click here for a quick synopsis of Livestock requirements for each species: Livestock Project Information 2022
Project Books – Purchase the 4-H Project Record Book for your species/project and the Resource Handbook if applicable (available in our office for purchase or online at www.extensionpubs.osu.edu) (Livestock projects must purchase the 4-H project book for their first year)
- 2nd year livestock and beyond: (not equine, alpaca, dogs, or small animals) – utilize project book AND add record via the printable Livestock Project Record Book (will be checked for skillathon). You can print at home or pick up from our office for FREE
County Level Scholarship Opportunities
- Green Range 4-H Club Livestock Scholarship – Due July 1
- What: 2 scholarships (amount $500)
- Who: Seniors enrolled in 4-H exhibiting market livestock at the Madison County Fair
- How: Apply by July 1st by submitting application and other required documents to the Extension office or email@example.com
- Application materials can be found at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/teen-opportunities under “Scholarship Oppportunities”
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
Stay Connected! – ohio4h.org/stayconnected
Now more than ever it’s time for 4-H’ers to make the best better! While youth are at home and staying safe, we still want you to stay connected. Below are links to activities for youth and resources for volunteers. Check back frequently for additional links and program updates!