Greetings 4-H Families!
We have been faced with so many changes with our lives this spring and summer, and 4-H and the fair has been no different! Please review this Pre-Fair/July 4-H News letter thoroughly for information and updates for the fair, which is just a short 10 days!
Please contact our office at 740-852-0975 or email email@example.com with any questions. Specific fair questions can be directed to the firstname.lastname@example.org and Jr. Fair Sales questions can be emailed to email@example.com.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we all navigate through these changes.
Yours in 4-H,
Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development.
In this issue:
- Jr. Fair Letter for 2020 Changes
- Jr. Fair Schedule
- Check In Paper Work Information
- Buyer Poster Contest
- Livestock Virtual Sale Information
- Special Interest Project Judging Information and Award Pick Up
- Premium Voucher Process and Farm Bureau T-Shirts
- Extension Office Opening Updates
- In-Person 4-H Events Update and Guidelines
- Other County and State 4-H Updates
MADISON COUNTY FAIR INFORMATION
Please read all of the information below as there are many changes for 2020.
Letter from Jr. Fair Summarizing 2020 Changes
This letter was sent via email in 4-H Online and posted on social media throughout June. Please review again and let us know if there are any questions: Madison County Jr. Fair 2020 COVID-19 Update
- Complete grooming for all species is allowed this year (changed since the letter)
- $3 premium vouchers can be picked up during special interest judging for non-livestock exhibitors (July 11 8am-12pm), or from 8am-10am Sunday-Friday, 4-6pm on Tuesday, and 2-4pm on Thursday (see schedule for all times) @ the Jr. Fair Board Office (outside of garage door)
- Animals will move in on the day of their show (except Swine). Check the schedule below for all times for arrival and dismissal for each species.
2020 Jr. Fair Schedule
Click here to download and print the Jr. Fair Schedule for 2020: Madison County Jr. Fair Schedule
Check In Paperwork Pick Up
All livestock check in paperwork (DUNF forms, affidavit forms for swine, etc.) MUST be picked up at the Madison County Senior Fair Office (in Coughlin Building) prior to fair and ready to turn in at check in for your species.
Office hours for Senior Fair Board:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10:00am-4:00pm
- Wednesday: 12:00pm-6:00pm
- Saturday: 10:00am-12:00pm
Thank Your 2019 Buyer Poster Submission
While there is no Poster Contest, we encourage all youth exhibitors to thank for 2019 livestock buyer! Create a poster (digital or on poster board) and submit the photo to go.osu.edu/thankyourbuyer by July 10!
All poster submissions will be compiled into a video display during fair week!
Livestock Virtual Sale Information
Exhibitors will need to submit information ASAP for the sale if they plan to sell their market animal in the premium sale.
- The Livestock Sale will be held completely online for 2020 via Breeders World
- All exhibitors must fill out a form (link below) with a short bio and a photo to upload with show clothes and animal posed as if they were being shown. If you do not submit any information, the Madison County Fair logo will be used and exhibitors will still be able to sell on the online platform. Awards won in the show will be automatically included for the exhibitor.
- Please complete this form by Friday, July 3.
- Dates: Saturday, July 18 at 9am through Sunday, July 19 at 6pm
- Held online only at Breeders World (www.breedersworld.com)
- Premium sale bids and boosts/add-ons can only be done online
- Any boosts/add ons can be added until Friday, July 24th at 6pm
- There is a Racehorse-style close to the auction, meaning the auction end time will extend as long as new bids are being made
- SALE ORDER (order of appearance on the website): Goat, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbit, Market Beef, Dairy, Swine
*Individuals need to declare at check in if market animals are going on the truck to packer.
*For 2020 only, you can take them home and still go through the premium sale
Questions? Contact the Jr. Fair Sale Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Interest Project Judging Information
All non-livestock judging for those participating in fair judging will take place on Saturday, July 11, 2020 from 8:00am-12:30pm in the Equine Arena. All times will be assigned for each youth project. No exceptions!
All participants registered will receive a letter via email with their assigned time for judging and any additional information. Please review the Madison County Special Interest Judging Booklet thoroughly for information on project judging and health guidelines. It is expected that all 4-H members, volunteers, and families follow the guidelines provided.
Be sure to review the Project Guidelines and what is required for your project.
All awards given will be annouced virtually by Monday, July 13. Awards can be picked up at the extension office from 2:00-4:00pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday of fair week or by appointment only.
Ractopamine reminder for Swine Project:
Swine Exhibitors: Please review the following letter from the Senior Fair Board regarding the use of Ractopamine at the 2020 Madison County Fair: Ractopamine Guidelines
The affidavit should be filled out and brought to swine check in and move in
For more information about going Ractopamine-Free and a copy of the affidavit is available at ohiopork.org/ractopamine-free.
For other updates and information about swine projects in Madison County, click here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/swine-projects
Premium Voucher Process and Farm Bureau T-Shirts
Madison County Farm Bureau ha FREE t-shirts for all Jr. Fair exhibitors! They will be available for pick up during premium voucher pick up times each day. See the photo for the sponsors that made it possible!
Voucher pick up will be outside of the Jr. Fair Board office:
- Sunday-Friday, 8am-10am
- Tuesday from 4-6pm (for Swine)
- Thursday from 2-4pm (for Alpaca)
- *Non livestock youth will receive their premium at check in on July 11
Please plan to come during your show days. All premiums are $3 based on your member in good standing status. Each exhibitor will receive one premium per project exhibited at the fair (i.e. 1 for breeding and 1 for market, not 1 for each class entry/animal).
COUNTY & STATE 4-H UPDATES
OSU Extension Office Opening
The Madison County Extension Office is now open to the public! We are open Monday for open hours (no appointment needed) from 7:30am-4:00pm and Tuesday-Friday by appointment only. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
*The Madison County Extension Office is closed Friday, July 3 to observe Independence Day
In-Person 4-H Meeting Update
We’re happy to share we’ve received approval from Ohio State University leadership to resume in-person 4-H club meetings and activities starting immediately. This is welcome news for our 3,039 Ohio 4-H clubs across the state. Ohio 4-H clubs that choose to begin meeting in-person must follow the guidelines listed below to promote the health and safety of our 4-H community, as we face the challenge of COVID-19.
Clubs choosing to meet in-person should provide virtual connection options for members who have that preference. Please note that in-person 4-H club meetings, activities and other events may be suspended at any time if local, state, federal, and/or university authorities issue new restrictions. 4-H meetings and activities can only be held in person if Ohio 4-H Planning Guide for In-Person Meetings & Events guidelines can be followed.
The Ohio 4-H Planning Guide for In-Person Meetings & Events guidelines provide expectations for all members, volunteers, and their families while participating in 4-H club meetings and activities. County and Independent Fairs work closely with Ohio 4-H / The Ohio State University, but are separate entities and follow different guidance. When 4-H members and volunteers participate in Junior Fair animal activities, they follow guidance from these local partners, as Ag Societies have the responsibility for the Junior Fair. 4-H non-livestock project judging that takes place during the fair is conducted by OSU Extension and must follow Ohio 4-H Planning Guide for In-Person Meetings & Events guidance.
The Madison County OSU Extension office is open to the public on Monday’s, 7:30am-4:00pm, and by appointment only Tuesday-Friday. We will continue to send information to you via 4-H Online emails and social media. You will also find the guidelines, a tip sheet and resources at ohio4h.org/families/stay-connected. Ohio 4-H teen leaders are developing video tutorials to assist educating club members on the in-person meeting expectations and will share those as they are available. When possible, we encourage OSU Extension programs, meetings, and events to meet virtually.
July 1 – Green Range 4-H Scholarship Applications due
July 3 – Extension Office Closed; Independence Day Observed
July 11 – Madison County Special Interest Judging – 8:00am-12:30pm (see assigned judging times sent directly to exhibitors and advisors)
July 12-18 – Madison County Jr. Fair (Click here for full schedule)
August 3 – 4-H Advisory Committee Meeting, 6:30pm
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
Ohio 4-H Project Showcase!
This summer we invite 4-H members in good standing to submit a photo of themselves with their 4-H project for display in an online project showcase. You’ll be asked to share what you liked about the project and one new thing you learned. Parents will also need to sign their approval for youth to participate.
- Select your favorite project – one per person
- Send a great photo – at least 2 MB
- Photos will be display after September 8 at ohio4h.org
Submit your photos by August 15 at go.osu.edu/4H2020Showcase. Questions? Contact Sarah Longo at email@example.com.
Ohio Youth Livestock Expo
The Ohio Youth Livestock Expo is being hosted July 25-August 18 by a group of volunteers with shows for beef, sheep, swine, and boer goats. The Expo is perfect for junior exhibitors who are looking for a state-wide, competitive show for their livestock projects.
For full details, schedule, eligibility, and entry information, go to www.theoyle.com. Entries are due July 10
Ohio Youth Skillathons
We encourage all youth to test their project knowledge and participate in the virtual statewide skillathons!
Dates/times, rules, and registration for Ohio Youth Skillathons are now online at: https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/ohio-youth-skillathons
Registration is due by JULY 15th, 2020.
- Register by visiting: www.go.osu.edu/skillathonregistration
- All exhibitors with need an email address specific to that exhibitor that can be used as your log-in credential (this is also where the first-time registration will be).