Greetings 4-H Families!
May is here and we are about 30 days away from camp and 70 days from fair week! The weather is getting warmer, 4-Hers are working hard on their projects, and there are lots of important information to share! Be sure to read through all the newsletters sent and check your emails for updates from our county office, club advisors, etc. as deadlines and events are coming up quick! Best of luck as you work through your projects, and as always, reach out if you need help!
We want to see what you are working on! If you have photos of working on your special interest projects, practicing with your animals, etc. – please sent them to firstname.lastname@example.org to have them featured on our social media and next newsletter! We LOVE seeing your work!
In this issue:
- 2021 Calendar of Events
- 4-H Camp Registration Information
- Livestock Quality Assurance Information
- 4-H Yard Sign Fundraiser
- Project Guidelines Information
- Livestock Skillathons
- Extension Office Hours Update
- 4-H Project Books
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Ohio 4-H Guidelines Reminder
- Jr. Fair Royalty Applications live & Other Fair Opportunities
- Other Jr. Fair related reminders
- State Opportunities
COUNTY 4-H UPDATES
4-H Camp Registration!
4-H Camp is happening! We are so excited to offer camping programs for our youth! Our registration and camps may look a little different this year, but we are planning to have a BLAST no matter what!
- June 4-8: Overnight 5 day, 4 night camp at 4-H Camp Clifton, 230/camper, for grades 3-8
- June 11: Cloverbud Day Camp at the Gwynne Conservation Area , $30/camper, for grades K-2
For information on how to register, what is different for this year, etc., visit www.go.osu.edu/madco4hcamp. Below are the steps to register for either camp:
- Review the Camp Pre-Registration Packet: Overnight Camp June 4-8 | Cloverbud Day Camp June 11
- Register and pay via the online registration survey(automatically redirects you to pay via credit/debit card online)
- Due May 14: Overnight Camp Registration (Grades 3-8): https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmnz3tK1XGGpGDk
- Due May 21: Cloverbud Day Camp Registration (Grades K-2): https://osu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0xrdgJ6TbzEom4m
- Send in Health Form and COVID Acknowledgement Form by May 21 for Overnight Camp & May 28 for Cloverbud Camp. Forms must be completed and signed and turned in to the Extension Office via mail or dropped off or emailed to email@example.com.
Pizza Kits: If you wish to sell pizza kits to raise money towards your camp fee, click here for more information: https://u.osu.edu/madison4h/2021/04/20/pizza-kits-for-4-h-camp/
Scholarships: $50 scholarships are available through the 4-H Committee. Applications are due ASAP, BEFORE your registration. Visit go.osu.edu/madco4hcamp for the application
*Camper Parent Meeting (Optional) May 4 at 6:30 – Zoom link is below:
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://osu.zoom.us/j/91896547495?pwd=aDJTRU5jK1hoM1FwV2lJTXBabnVQZz09
- Meeting ID: 918 9654 7495; Password: 747966
- One tap mobile: +16468769923,,91896547495#,,,,0#,,747966# US (New York)
Livestock Quality Assurance – Only 2 Sessions Left!
To be eligible for participation in the Madison County Junior Fair, potential youth exhibitors must participate in one of the following Quality Assurance Education Programs. The deadline to complete QA Education for the Madison County Fair is May 15, 2021.
Register at go.osu.edu/madcovirtualqa.
4-H & FFA Members in these projects must attend Quality Assurance Education: All Dairy Cattle, Market & Dairy Goats, Breeding Goats, Market, Breeding, and Pet Rabbits, Beef (Mkt. Steers, Beef Feeders, Breeding Beef), Dairy Feeder Calves, Market and Breeding Swine, Breeding and Market Sheep, Market and Fancy Poultry.
This year, all the sessions will be held VIRTUALLY via zoom, just like last year. If you need an accomodation, please contact the Madison County Extension Office to make alternative arrangements.
Please save the dates for the below sessions. Youth must attend one session. Additional sessions may be added as needed. Sessions will be limited to 40 participants:
- Thursday, May 6, 7:00-8:30pm
- Wednesday, May 12, 6:00-7:30pm
You may also choose to complete QA through the online YQCA certification on your own time. There is about a $12 cost with this program. Contact the extension office for more information.
4-H Yard Sign Fundraiser to benefit Madison County Equine Committee
The Equine Committee is selling 4-H Yard Signs personalized to your species or project and your child’s name! Signs are $20 plus $5 for name personalization. Questions? Contact Casie Phipps at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-579-1287. All proceeds benefit the Madison County Equine Committee
Project Guidelines & Other Information
All members should have received emails this past week with additional details for their livestock and special interest projects. Please check those for specific information!
- Need Help? – Use the Project Helper Contact Info for contact information for your species contact, Jr. Fair and Sales committee contacts, etc.!
- Project Guidelines – This document provides general information for each 4-H project on what you need to do to complete the project: 4-H Project General Guidelines
- Project Books – Purchase the 4-H Project Record Book for your species/project and the Resource Handbook if applicable (available in our office for purchase or online at www.extensionpubs.osu.edu) (Livestock projects must purchase the 4-H project book for their first year)
- 2nd year livestock and beyond: (not equine, alpaca, dogs, or small animals) – utilize project book AND add record via the printable Livestock Project Record Book (will be checked for skillathon). You can print at home or pick up from our office for FREE
- Fair Entries – Due June 1. Required if you want to exhibit your project at the fair. Watch for the link to be live around the first week of May here: FairEntry Link
- Other Resources – Find additional videos and resources from current 4-H members at www.go.osu.edu/mc4hspark
Skillathon takes place on June 19th, 2021. Families will receive assigned times for youth needing to complete skillathon. Livestock Skillathons are required for the following projects in order to exhibit at the county fair: Beef, Dairy, Alpaca, Dog, Equine, Goat, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbit, and Swine Projects.
If you need a specific accomodation or have questions, contact the Extension Office at 740-852-0975. Alternative dates should be scheduled by June 1 for those that have conflicts.
Visit this link for information such study guides, skillathon format, practice skillathons, etc.: Skillathon Resources
2021 4-H Projects Books
This year, there are a couple ways to purchase your project books:
*Before ordering, check the Perfect Stay at Home projects page to see if the project your child is interested in is posted as a PDF version for free (there are 12 projects posted currently). We are happy to print these in the office for you if needed. You can also choose to buy the book still if it is easier to work in.
- Order Online: You can skip a trip to the office and have them ordered and shipped directly to your door! Visit extensionpubs.osu.edu to browse project and resource books. Use this coupon to get free shipping on orders of $20 or more (FREE2021)
- Purchase at our office: Schedule an appointment to come during 4-H office hours, or call ahead for a different time, to purchase your books in the county office.
Change for livestock books: 2nd year livestock and beyond: (not equine, alpaca, dogs, or small animals) – utilize project book AND add record via the printable Livestock Project Record Book (will be checked for skillathon). You can print at home or pick up from our office for FREE. First year members must still purchase the 4-H project and record book and complete activities in there, but you do not need to purchase a new one every year.
OSU Extension Office Hours & Updates
General Office Hours: As a reminder, our office is open by appointment only. We are generally staffed Monday-Wednesday, 9:00am-4:00pm in the physical office, but are available virtually Monday-Friday 9:00am-4:00pm via phone or email!
Please continue to call ahead at least 24 hours before coming into the office to schedule an appointment, wear your mask when inside, and stay home if you are sick.
As a reminder, Arlene, our office associate, has retired. We have a temporarily Office Associate, Marianne, part time from another county office until the replacement is hired! Marianne will be helping to cover the office, answer phone calls, and assist you with other needs temporarily! Our new office associate will be starting mid-May and we wills end out more information then!
County Level Scholarship Opportunities
- Green Range 4-H Club Livestock Scholarship – Due July 1
- What: 2 scholarships (amount $500)
- Who: Seniors enrolled in 4-H exhibiting market livestock at the Madison County Fair
- How: Apply by July 1st by submitting application and other required documents to the Extension office or email@example.com
- Application materials can be found at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/teen-opportunities under “Scholarship Oppportunities”
- Bob Clawson Poultry Scholarship – Due June 15
- $250 scholarship awarded to 4-H senior taking a poulty project to the county fair
- Sponsored by the Helping Hands Happy Hearts 4-H Club
- Apply by June 15 by submitting application and other required documents to Extension Office or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application and materials can be found at: https://madison.osu.edu/sites/madison/files/imce/Program_Pages/4H/15Bob%20Clawson%20Scholarship.pdf
In-Person 4-H Meetings and Events Update
Remember to follow our meeting guidelines for any in-person 4-H meetings and events that you may be attending: That information, along with any new updates, is at https://ohio4h.org/families/stay-connected.
Upcoming Events – May: View the full calendar here
1: All horse, alpaca, and dairy projects owned/leased and in posession of 4-H/FFA members. All market project animals owned and/or in possession of 4-H/FFA members
3: 4-H Advisory Committee Meeting – 6:30pm
6: Livestock Quality Assurance – 7:00-8:30pm – Virtual – RSVP at go.osu.edu/madcovirtualqa
8: Sewing Clinic – 9:00-4:00pm, Hope Church, 9899 US 42 Plain City (RSVP via text to Daphne: 614-353-0406)
12: LAST CHANCE Livestock Quality Assurance – 6:00-7:30pm – Virtual – RSVP at go.osu.edu/madcovirtualqa
14: 4-H Camp Registration Due (health forms due May 21)
15: Quality Assurance completion deadline
20: Poultry Broiler Pick Up
21: Cloverbud Camp Registration due for June 11th camp (health forms due May 28)
22: Sewing Clinic – 9:00-4:00pm, Hope Church, 9899 US 42 Plain City (RSVP via text to Daphne: 614-353-0406)
25: Extension Office Closed – Memorial Day
June 1: Madison County Jr. Fair entries due
June 4-8: 4-H Camp
June 11: Cloverbud Day Camp
Self Care Isn’t Selfish!
Stress and anxiety can sometimes trigger unhealthy behaviors. Next time you feel stressed, try one of these healthy habits instead:
- Get moving! Talk a walk, get weights, or do some yoga
- Reach Out! Talk with those who can provide support
- Stop and Breath! Focused breathing can help you calm down and think clearly
- Care for yourself! Get enough sleep and drink plenty of water
For more coping skills, visit mhrb.org.
COUNTY JR. FAIR UPDATES
Jr. Fair Royalty and Ambassador Applications
Apply now to be Fair Royalty or Specie Ambassador! Applications are due June 15, with a required meeting for all contestants June 15 at 6:00pm in the Della Selsor Building.
For more information and applications, visit www.madison.osu.edu/fairroyalty
Fair Schedule and Rule Book
Visit the Madison County Fair website for the schedule and fair book for specific fair information. Fair week is July 10-17!
There are several changes to the show schedules, so be sure to double check when your species show are!
Outstanding Exhibitor and Scholarship Applications Due June 15
Applications for outstanding specie exhibitors and various scholarship are due June 15. See below for the opportunities and applications:
- Outstanding Goat Exhibitor
- Outstanding Dog Exhibitor
- Outstanding Horse Exhibitor
- Outstanding Sheep Exhibitor
- Bob Clawson Poultry Scholarship
- Outstanding Rabbit Exhibitor
- Small Animal Essay Contest
Dog Vaccine and Licensure info
Dog Vaccine and Licensure Forms: All 4-H dog projects must be in possession by April 1. Dog ID and Vaccine Form and Copy of Dog License (from County) are due by May 1 to the OSU Extension Office or Jenny will be available at the fairgrounds May 1 to drop them off. Contact Jenny Sweet, Dog Key Leader, with any questions at 740-506-3357.
Dog Clinics: Watch for more information to be sent soon for a few dates for dog clinics to practice for show. Additional Dog Resources are available at https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/animal-sciences/dog/dog-resources
Poultry – Broiler Orders & Pollorum Testing
Market Broiler Orders: If you ordered broilers, pick up will be Thursday, May 20 from 2-6pm at the fairgrounds. Watch your emails for more information
Pullorum Testing – COMING SOON: Pullorum testing is required for poultry that do not have the NPIP paperwork from the hatchery (market chickens are not tested). Check with the hatchery where you get your birds to see if they already have this done. More info for the May testing date will be sent out soon to poultry members. Individuals can also set up their own testing with a certified individual.
New Opportunity for Jr. Fair Sale
Beginning 2021, the Madison County Jr. Fair Livestock exhibitors will have the option to take their market livestock projects home versus sending the animal to the packer at the fair and still be allowed to be a part of the premium sale. All project requirements must be met, such as showmanship, quality assurance, skill-a-thon, etc. as in previous years to sell in premium sale.
However, per state mandate, all Grand and Reserve Champion market animals MUST still go on to slaughter and cannot be taken home. Furthermore, exhibitors that plan to take their animal/project home, must declare during entry at the June 1 deadline to allow the Madison County Fair Sale Committee time to supply the packer with shipping numbers. Those exhibitors taking their projects home must also wait to be released before doing leaving with those animals.
Click here for more information: New Jr. Fair Sale Rule
Contact the Madison County Sales Committee at email@example.com with any questions.
Livestock & Small Animal Committee Members Needed!
2021 is bringing some fresh changes to our Jr. Fair structure! In lieu of Livestock Key Leaders, the Jr. Fair Livestock program is moving to a committee structure to help encourage sustainability and limit the amount of work for the one person, creating a team effort!
If interested in being a part of this committee, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
The 3 Committees will now consist of:
- Equine Committee (has been in place for several years, If interested, contact Colleen Martin at email@example.com for information on meetings times, dates, etc.)
- Small Animal/Specialty: includes rabbit, poultry, dog, alpaca, and small animal
- Large Animal Committee: Includes beef, dairy, swine, goat, and sheep
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
In honor of the Mars Rover, this year Cloverbuds will be going to space with the challenge happening on Mars. Cloverbuds will design a place to live on the Red Planet and create a model featuring their method of transportation. The Challenge will take place virtually on Monday, July 12 or Thursday, July 22 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. We will be utilizing breakout rooms in ZOOM so that teams will have the opportunity to share their projects. With help from the Ohio 4-H Foundation, teams can order a kit to get them started. Information is posted on the Ohio 4-H website https://ohio4h.org/families/cloverbuds/cloverbot-challenge and via Facebook.
Send Smore Kids to Camp Opportunity
The Ohio 4-H Foundation is beginning a 4-H camp fundraising campaign to raise funds for our Ohio 4-H camping facilities. For this promotion, Send S’more Kids to 4-H Camp, we are holding a contest to choose the artwork that will be on the various incentives. Any 4-H member may submit a design for the Send S’more Kids to Camp Campaign. There will be two divisions, Junior (4-H age 8-13) and Senior (4-H age 14-18). All entries must be submitted by Wednesday, May 12. Winners will be notified by May 17.
Submission: Please submit a scan; the winning entry will be asked to submit original for publication.
- For submissions for the Junior division, visit go.osu.edu/4hartjr.
- For submissions for the Senior division, visit go.osu.edu/4hartsr.
All entries must be submitted no later than Wednesday, May 12. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay Connected! – ohio4h.org/stayconnected
Now more than ever it’s time for 4-H’ers to make the best better! While youth are at home and staying safe, we still want you to stay connected. Below are links to activities for youth and resources for volunteers. Check back frequently for additional links and program updates!