In this issue:
- 4-H Project Guidelines and Other Information
- 4-H Camp Registration Coming Soon & Pizza Kit Fundraiser
- Market Broiler Orders due April 22 & Other Poultry Information
- Livestock Skillathon Reminder
- Livestock Quality Assurance Dates and RSVP
- 2022 4-H Calendar
- Club Officer Resources
- County Scholarships Available
- Upcoming dates
- Fair Reminders – Fair Book and Schedule Available
- Jr. Fair Sale Reminders
- Livestock Specific Updates
- State Opportunities
4-H Project Guidelines & Other Information
As you begin to work on your projects for 2022, check out some of our resources available! We have a project guidelines document that outlines every 4-H project and the basic requirements available at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection
For SPECIAL INTEREST PROJECTS, you can find additional resources, judging information, clinics, etc. at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/special-interest
For LIVESTOCK PROJECTS, you can find the project resources, fair information, clinics, skillathon information, and more at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/livestock-project
Project Books – Purchase the 4-H Project Record Book for your species/project and the Resource Handbook if applicable (available in our office for purchase or online at www.extensionpubs.osu.edu) (Livestock projects must purchase the 4-H project book for their first year)
- 2nd year livestock and beyond: (not equine, alpaca, dogs, or small animals) – utilize project book AND add record via the printable Livestock Project Record Book (will be checked for skillathon). You can print at home or pick up from our office for FREE
Fair Entries – Due June 1. Required if you want to exhibit your project at the fair. Watch for the link to be live around the first week of May here: FairEntry Link
4-H Camp Registration Coming Soon & Pizza Kit Fundraiser!
Join us for 4-H Camp, June 4-8, 2022 at 4-H Camp Clifton! Cost is $230 for 4-H members and $250 for non 4-H members. Registration will be available online starting next week! Spots are first come, first serve!
For information on camp, visit go.osu.edu/madco4hcamp for the camper information letter, scholarships available, etc.
The Little Caesars Pizza Kit fundraiser is also available now! Click here to start an account and sell pizza! Every kit sold gives you direct profit off of your camp fee!
Sellers: To get started follow this link to create your very own Seller page (click “create a new account”): https://fundraising.littlecaesars.com/login/join-fundraiser/92e238d9-80cd-4c0d-88a8-7f47805752d6.
- You can customize your page, upload a video, create an avatar, and watch how many pizza kits you’ve sold. You’ll get your own special link to send to your friends and family so they can buy delicious pizza kits and support our fundraiser. Pizza Kits will be delivered directly to their home by FedEx, so send the link to your out of state family and friends, too. You can even post your Seller link on your social media pages.
- Every kit we sell earns $6 profit, which goes directly to the seller’s camp registration fee! Don’t forget to buy some for yourself!
Buyers: If you are not a seller, and wish to purchase a kit, contact our office to either get hooked up with a seller, or purchase through out county page here: https://fundraising.littlecaesars.com/fundraisers/support/84a296c4-c685-46c0-8ee2-01731e3659d9
Market Broiler Orders & Other Poultry Information – Due April 22
Market Broiler Orders: All Market Chickens must be purchased from our county order. Orders and payment are due April 22. Order your birds here: Broiler Order Form. Birds are $2.00/bird. You should order at least 6 for your project. Payment can be made via check or cash to OSU Extension and dropped off or mailed to our office. Pick up will be Thursday, May 19 from 2-5pm at the fairgrounds.
Backyard Poultry Biosecurity Session for Youth and Adults – April 5th
Thanks to Tim McDermott, Ohio 4-H is pleased to offer Backyard Poultry Biosecurity
- With concerns are around HPAI and poultry rising, especially as we approach fair season, good biosecurity practices are very important! Learn about health risk and biosecurity practices specific to poultry projects with Dr. Tim McDermott! Youth and adults are welcome to join us on April 5th from 5:30-7:00pm on Zoom (Zoom link and details below).
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://osu.zoom.us/j/97510455262?pwd=K0tmUjM3eDF6S25RNXlMNTBzR2pkUT09
- Meeting ID: 975 1045 5262; Password: 730686
- One tap mobile: +16468769923,,97510455262#,,,,0#,,730686# US (New York)
Avian Influenza & Biosecurity! – Avian influenza has been found in wild birds in Ohio. Please keep your poultry safe by keeping them away from areas wild fowl feed. This currently does not pose a risk to humans but do not handle any dead birds you may find. You can learn more at: https://ohiodnr.gov/…/wildli…/wildlife-disease/avian-flu
Pullorum Testing – June 12, 1-3: Pullorum testing is required for poultry that do not have the NPIP paperwork from the hatchery (market chickens are not tested). Check with the hatchery where you get your birds to see if they already have this done. More info for the testing date will be sent out closer to. Individuals can also set up their own testing with a certified individual.
Skillathon takes place on June 21st and 29th. Families will receive assigned times for youth needing to complete skillathon. Livestock Skillathons are required for the following projects in order to exhibit at the county fair: Beef, Dairy, Alpaca, Dog, Equine, Goat, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbit, and Swine Projects.
Visit this link for information such study guides (2022 coming mid-April), skillathon format, practice skillathons, etc.: Skillathon Resources
Livestock Quality Assurance
To be eligible for participation in the Madison County Junior Fair, potential youth exhibitors must participate in one of the following Quality Assurance Education Programs. The deadline to complete QA Education for the Madison County Fair is May 15, 2022. Parent participation is required for exhibitors under 16 or first year exhibitors.
4-H & FFA Members in these projects must attend Quality Assurance Education: All Dairy Cattle, Market & Dairy Goats, Breeding Goats, Market, Breeding, Pet Rabbits, Beef (Mkt. Steers, Beef Feeders, Breeding Beef), Dairy Feeder Calves, Market and Breeding Swine, Breeding and Market Sheep, all Market and Fancy poultry. Horses, Dogs, Alpacas, Cats, and Cavies do not need to complete QA training.
Session options are listed below. Mark your calendar to attend ONE! Sign ups are available NOW at www.go.osu.edu/MadCoQA
- *April 18, 6:00-8:00pm – Becks Hybrids (Rabbit Project Specific)
- *April 20th, 6:30-8:30pm – Becks Hybrids (For NEW MEMBERS ONLY – 1st-3rd year members just getting started on their projects!)
- April 28th, 7:00-8:30pm – Virtually via Zoom
- May 5th, 7:00-8:30pm – Virtually via Zoom
- May 12th, 6:30-8:30pm – Coughlin Building
If you cannot attend the above dates, there are options for an online QA through YQCA. Contact the extension office for details. It does cost roughly $12 to complete. You can also reach out to surrounding counties to complete this.
2022 4-H Calendar – Mark Dates NOW!
The 2022 4-H calendar is available here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-calendar
Please mark down important dates with your families NOW!(Rally Night, Judging days, SKILLATHON, etc.)
- March 15 – 4-H Enrollment deadline
- May 1 – Animal Ownership deadline
- June 1 – Jr. Fair Entries due
- June 4-8 – 4-H Camp
- June 21 and 29 – Livestock Skillathons (REQUIRED TO ATTEND ONE, NO EXCEPTIONS!)
- July 9-16 – Madison County Fair
- Fair schedule for 2022 posted at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/fair-schedule
We provide this calendar so that you can plan ahead. RARELY are big dates changed so that you can plan around family vacations, sporting events, etc. Please make these a priority as a lot of planning and volunteer time goes into these events. Make up options and extensions are few and far between for required things when we sent the schedule out several months in advance 🙂
*Note that these dates are subject to change, and some may be added. Check back regularly for updates.
Newly elected club officers? Have some resources!
Officer Training Resources: Visit https://ohio4h.org/officerresources for some brand new officer training resources! We were excited to add these new resources under the “Officer Resources” tab. These resources are quick guides that offer information on the importance of campaigning for club offices, officer position descriptions, and tips for holding elections.
County Level Scholarship Opportunities
- Madison County 4-H Scholarship – April 30th
- The Madison County 4-H Advisory Committee sponsors two -$500.00 and four- $250.00 scholarships. Applicants must be currently enrolled in the Madison County 4-H program and must be high school seniors or college freshman.
- This scholarship application is due April 30th to the Extension Office or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for a Fillable PDF or Word file of the application.
- 4-H Trip Scholarships
- There are many opportunities available to youth outside of our county programs! The Madison County 4-H Committee sponsors trips for our youth to help them gain leadership skills and represent our county! Trips include: State Leadership Camp, Shooting Sports camps, Citizenship Washington Focus (trip to D.C.), and many more
- Applications ASAP for early registrations (CWF, Buckeye Leadership Workshop, etc.) or 6 weeks in advance of registration for event.
- Download the application here! Opportunities are available for 4-H youth of all ages!
Craft Show – May 14 – 4-H Tack Sale Opportunity
4-H members with extra show supplies and tack can sell their items at the Craft Show at the fairgrounds on May 14 from 10:00am-4:00pm. If you would like to just donate items, all proceeds made from sale will be used for small animal barn improvements.
If you would like to keep profit, there is a $10 vendor fee and you must stay at the Craft Show to collect your monies.
Questions? Contact Judy Gallimore at 740-506-4025.
Upcoming Events: View the full calendar here
*2022 Calendar Available at the link above!
*Fair schedule for 2022 posted at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/fair-schedule
April 1 – 4-H Dog Project owned and in possession
April 14 – Deadline to submit picture of brood doe for Market Rabbit Meat Pens (send photo to email@example.com)
April 18 – Rabbit Quality Assurance – 6:30-8:30pm – Becks Hybrids – RSVP at go.osu.edu/madcoQA
April 22 – Poultry Orders Due – Market Broiler Projects
April 20 – Livestock Quality Assurance (1st-3rd Year Members) – 6:30-8:30pm – Becks Hybrids – RSVP at go.osu.edu/madcoQA
April 30th – 4-H Committee Scholarship Applications Due
May 1 – All horse, alpaca, and dairy projects owned and leased and in possession of 4-H & FFA members with lease agreements submitted to the Extension office. All market project animals owned and/or in possession.
COUNTY JR. FAIR UPDATES
2022 Madison County Fair Schedule and Fair Book Available!
The 2022 Madison County Fair schedule and Fair Book is posted at https://www.madisoncountyfairoh.com/fair-schedule.
Please review the schedule and your species guidelines!
Jr. Fair Sales Committee Update
Curious about how the sale will work this year? Check out this list of Frequently Asked Questions for the Jr. Fair Sale!
Rabbit Updates – Market Pen Photo Submissions
**NEW THIS YEAR: All market rabbit meat pen exhibitors must submit photos of brood doe and litters before the June 1 deadline (see details below)
- April 14 – Deadline to register/submit pictures of brood doe for market rabbit meat pens (send to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- May 19 – Deadline to register/submit pictures of market rabbit meat pen litters (send to email@example.com)
Rabbit Guidelines can be found at: https://madison.osu.edu/sites/madison/files/imce/Fair/2022/2022%20Rabbit%20Guidelines.pdf
Sheep & Goats – Tag In/Weigh In – May 7
Swine Ear Notch & Photos Due May 1 PLUS Fair Change!
All swine exhibitors must submit ear notches and headshot photo by May 7 to the Extension Office
Ear Notch forms and additional info can be found here: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/swine-projects.
NEW: You may tag up to six hogs, but you can only exhibit FOUR hogs at the 2022 Madison County Fair
Dog Vaccine and Licensure info due May 1
Dog Vaccine and Licensure Forms: All 4-H dog projects must be in possession by April 1. Dog ID and Vaccine Form and Copy of Dog License (from County) are due by May 1 to the OSU Extension Office or Jenny will be available at the fairgrounds May 1 to drop them off. Contact Jenny Sweet, Dog Key Leader, with any questions at 740-506-3357.
Dog Clinics: Watch for more information to be sent soon for a few dates for dog clinics to practice for show. Additional Dog Resources are available at https://ohio4h.org/statewide-programs/animal-sciences/dog/dog-resources
Livestock Committee Members Needed!
We want YOU to consider joining the Small Animal or Large animal committees, or Horse Committee! This is a great opportunity to get involved to help make the Jr. Fair programs great!
Contact the Jr. Fair Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the mailing list for meeting dates.
The 3 Committees are:
- Equine Committee (has been in place for several years, If interested, contact Colleen Martin at email@example.com for information on meetings times, dates, etc.)
- Small Animal/Specialty: includes rabbit, poultry, dog, alpaca, and small animal
- Large Animal Committee: Includes beef, dairy, swine, goat, and sheep!
Responsibilities of these committees will include:
- Species specific rule recommendations to JFB (timely and accurate oversight and revisions)
- Judge recommendations
- Develop and maintain volunteers
- Fair format/show bill/arena and facility set up
- Assist extension office with skillathons
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
Stay Connected! – ohio4h.org/stayconnected
Now more than ever it’s time for 4-H’ers to make the best better! While youth are at home and staying safe, we still want you to stay connected. Below are links to activities for youth and resources for volunteers. Check back frequently for additional links and program updates!