In this issue:
- Project Guidelines Information
- Special Interest Skillathon
- Livestock Skillathons Information
- Extension Office Hours Update
- 4-H Project Books
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Ohio 4-H Guidelines Reminder – MASK UPDATE
- Jr. Fair Royalty Applications live & Other Fair Opportunities
- Poultry Pollorum testing
- Equine clinics
- State Opportunities & State Fair reminders
COUNTY 4-H UPDATES
Project Guidelines – This document provides general information for each 4-H project on what you need to do to complete the project: 4-H Project General Guidelines
A judging packet with assigned times for each special interest (non-livestock) project will be sent mid to late June. Watch your emails for more details!
Click here for details for clothing and nutrition projects and other reminders for judging day!: https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/4-h-project-guidelines-project-selection/special-interest
SPECIAL INTEREST AUCTION – New in 2021!
This year, all youth exhibiting a special interest project that are NOT selling a livestock animal in the Jr. Fair sale have the option to auction off an item related to your special interest project! The form below must be turned in at the time of judging check in on July 10th and has the additional rules listed.
- When: Thursday, July 15 at 5:00pm (check in at 4:15 with item and get photo taken)
- Where: Della Selsor Building
- How: Turn in Auction Entry Form at Project Judging on July 10th
- Item must be 60% homemade, raised, or in some way created by the exhibitor and must be related to your project. You may only enter 1 item per exhibitor.
This is a great oppportunity to invite your family and friends too, and reach out to your small businesses that would love to sponsor a project!
Skillathon takes place on June 19th, 2021. Livestock Skillathons are required for the following projects in order to exhibit at the county fair: Beef, Dairy, Alpaca, Dog, Equine, Goat, Sheep, Poultry, Rabbit, and Swine Projects.
All youth must register for a time slot by June 9th at www.go.osu.edu/madcoskillathon
For skillathon information and registration links for each species, visit www.go.osu.edu/madcoskillathon
If you need a specific accomodation or have questions, contact the Extension Office at 740-852-0975. Alternative dates should have been scheduled by June 1 for those that have conflicts.
Visit this link for information such study guides, skillathon format, practice skillathons, etc.: Skillathon Resources
OSU Extension Office Hours & Updates
General Office Hours: Our office is open Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:00pm for normal office hours. It is still recommended that you call ahead if you need something specific or need to speak with a specific staff member.
Welcome our new office associate, Jackie Buss! If you see her in the office or chat with her on the phone, say hi and welcome her!
- Green Range 4-H Club Livestock Scholarship – Due July 1
- What: 2 scholarships (amount $500)
- Who: Seniors enrolled in 4-H exhibiting market livestock at the Madison County Fair
- How: Apply by July 1st by submitting application and other required documents to the Extension office or email@example.com
- Application materials can be found at https://madison.osu.edu/program-areas/4-h-youth-development/teen-opportunities under “Scholarship Oppportunities”
- Bob Clawson Poultry Scholarship – Due June 15
- $250 scholarship awarded to 4-H senior taking a poulty project to the county fair
- Sponsored by the Helping Hands Happy Hearts 4-H Club
- Apply by June 15 by submitting application and other required documents to Extension Office or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application and materials can be found at: https://madison.osu.edu/sites/madison/files/imce/Program_Pages/4H/15Bob%20Clawson%20Scholarship.pdf
In-Person 4-H Meetings and Events Update -NEW UPDATE
Remember to follow our meeting guidelines for any in-person 4-H meetings and events that you may be attending: That information, along with any new updates, is at https://ohio4h.org/families/stay-connected.
- Face masks are not required to be worn inside or outside at 4-H camp (day or overnight) for ALL employees AND clientele
- Face masks are not required to be worn inside or outside at any OSU Extension (including 4-H non-camp) programs and activities for ALL employees AND clientele
- Face masks are not required to be worn inside or outside at county offices for ALL employees AND clientele.
- Face masks are strongly recommended for those who are not yet fully vaccinated (strongly recommended means the individual chooses to wear a mask or not)
- All other health and safety guidance is still in effect, such as physical distancing and sanitizing. Local guidance or building requirements prevails if there are more stringent requirements
- Individuals and/or family members may not attend if they or anyone living their household is experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, shortness of breath, loss of sense of taste or smell, or as been directly exposed (confirmed or suspected) to COVID-19 if they are not fully vaccinated.
- COVID-19 vaccinations are our best current protection against infection and a fatal outcome. Fully vaccinated individuals are not required to wear a face mask, however we strongly recommend eligible, but unvaccinated, individuals to continue to properly wear a face mask when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- As a reminder: Know that these guidelines may be modified at any time if conditions change and/or guidance is not following, and/or local health department issues more stringent requirements
Upcoming Events – June: View the full calendar here
June 1: Madison County Jr. Fair entries due
June 4-8: 4-H Camp
June 9: Skillathon registration due at go.osu.edu/madcoskillathon
June 11: Cloverbud Day Camp
June 14: 4-H Advisory Committee Meeting -6:30pm
June 15: Outstanding Exhibitor applications due, Royalty and Ambassador Applications due; Writing projects due
June 16, 17, 18: Sewing Clinic 9am-4pm, Hope Church, Plain City
June 18: Nutrition Clinic, 11:00-1:00pm, Hope Church, Plain City
June 19: Livestock project Judging and Skillathons – 9:00-5:00pm – Pre-register for your timeslot at go.osu.edu/madcoskillathon by June 9!
June 20: Ohio State Fair Junior Livestock Entries due
June 23, 25, 25: Sewing Clinic 9am-4pm, Hope Church, Plain City
July 1: Green Range 4-H Scholarship due
July 5: Office Closed – Observed Independence Day
July 10: Special Interest Judging
July 10-17: Madison County Fair!
COUNTY JR. FAIR UPDATES
Apply now to be Fair Royalty or Specie Ambassador! Applications are due June 15, with a required meeting for all contestants June 15 at 6:00pm in the Della Selsor Building.
For more information and applications, visit www.madison.osu.edu/fairroyalty
Applications for outstanding specie exhibitors and various scholarship are due June 15. See below for the opportunities and applications:
- Outstanding Goat Exhibitor
- Outstanding Dog Exhibitor
- Outstanding Horse Exhibitor
- Outstanding Sheep Exhibitor
- Bob Clawson Poultry Scholarship
- Outstanding Rabbit Exhibitor
- Small Animal Essay Contest
Poultry – Pollorum Testing (Note – NOT for market broilers or waterfowl)
Pullorum Testing – Saturday, June 12th at 12pm
Where: Poultry barn @ Madison County Fairgrounds
Why: An A/I & Pullorum Clean test is required for entry to the fair. If you purchased from a hatchery since last fair you can get a verification from the hatchery. If you have chickens older than last fair (2020) or purchased from a private breeder you MUST get your birds (a %) tested.
If you can’t make the June 12 date, reach out to Julia for a list of testers. If you don’t have a “disease- free- hatchery paper” or a clean- test paper you will NOT show at the fair. Waterfowl is not tested.
Questions… please call Julia Smith at 614.519.1799.
The following are the Equine Clinic Dates:
- 6/6 @ 10AM for Western and Trail (Showmanship, Pleasure, Ranch, Contesting)
- 6/12 @ 10 AM for Hunters and English Flat work (Hunter under saddle and equitation)
- 6/26 @ 10 AM for Saddleseat and Dressage
You are welcome to bring your horse or come watch and ask questions. Questions? Contact Sam Seidenstricker at 937-561-8500
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Be sure to check Ohio4H.org for the most recent state 4-H information and follow the “Ohio State – 4-H Youth Development” Facebook page!
In honor of the Mars Rover, this year Cloverbuds will be going to space with the challenge happening on Mars. Cloverbuds will design a place to live on the Red Planet and create a model featuring their method of transportation. The Challenge will take place virtually on Monday, July 12 or Thursday, July 22 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. We will be utilizing breakout rooms in ZOOM so that teams will have the opportunity to share their projects. With help from the Ohio 4-H Foundation, teams can order a kit to get them started. Information is posted on the Ohio 4-H website https://ohio4h.org/families/cloverbuds/cloverbot-challenge and via Facebook.
Ohio Youth Skillathon Information
Ohio Youth Skillathon information for VIRTUAL and IN-PERSON sessions is now online at: https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/ohio-youth-skillathons
VIRTUAL Skillathon Registration is due by JUNE 14th, 2021!
- Register by visiting: www.go.osu.edu/skillathonregistration
A few important notes:
- Those exhibiting at OSF and want to be eligible for Outstanding Market Exhibitor (OME) awards MUST participate at the IN-PERSON skillathons at the state fair
- Those exhibiting at OSF and want to be eligible for Outstanding Breeding Exhibitor (OBE) awards MUST participate in the VIRTUAL skillathons online
Ohio State Fair Livestock Schedule
The 2021 OSF Livestock Schedule is now posted at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock-schedule/.
If you plan to show, entries are due June 20th! If you are showing swine and your parent needs PQA training, email email@example.com. You need this to enter before June 20!
Stay Connected! – ohio4h.org/stayconnected
Now more than ever it’s time for 4-H’ers to make the best better! While youth are at home and staying safe, we still want you to stay connected. Below are links to activities for youth and resources for volunteers. Check back frequently for additional links and program updates!