Graduate Student Spotlight: Abby Sanders

Abby Sanders is a first year master’s student in agricultural communication, education, and leadership, where she is specializing in agricultural communication. Hailing from Clarksville, Arkansas, Abby graduated with a bachelor’s in agricultural business from Arkansas Tech University in 2019.

She currently works as a teaching assistant with Tom Stewart in the Agricultural Communication 3130 (Oral Expression in Agriculture) where she assists during the instructional period and evaluates student speeches during labs. This semester she has also added a research project to her experiences and will be working with Dr. Joy Rumble.

As for her master’s project, Abby will be developing communication and marketing materials for the Arkansas Tech University (ATU) Department of Agriculture. This project is one of love as she knows it will help increase the visibility for her alma mater and give her a chance to work with her former instructors and peers.

She chose to come to Ohio State because she said, “I felt it was a great fit for me academically and the agricultural communication program and faculty are well-known in the industry. A degree from this university will open opportunities for me I wouldn’t have otherwise.” She comes from an agricultural business background and feels the combination of business and communication will serve her well when she enters the workforce.

When asked what she loves about Ohio State and the Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership, she said “Similar to my previous experience at ATU, the culture in this program is wonderful. I have found lifelong friends and professional connections that will truly change my life. Choosing Ohio State will always be one of my best decisions.”