Body Augmentation: Process

Research

To begin, my partner and I collaboratively worked to come up with a concept for our project.

View inspiration links

>Exercises/Activities

In this exercise, I worked with my table to design a form that communicates fluidity, dynamism, and power which has safety as its priority.

Iterations

In order to start the construction process, we developed a more detailed outline.

Sweatshirt Iterations

Glasses Iterations

Mask Iterations

Concept Statement

My overall goal for this project is to design and construct a volumetric form that communicates a thematic narrative based on a pandemic of my choice. I collaboratively worked with my partner to create a framework and a design intention to begin our process. Our concept is based on a pandemic from the year 4191, which is the reverse order of when tear gas was first used in 1914 during World War 1. It is called Lacrima Larva, which stands for “tear mask” in latin. We both created our own composition that protects the world from tear gas that is being released through sewers and vents by the government. However, my partner’s design is a mask that is mandated by the government which secretly tracks you, while mine is made to protect and hide from government surveillance. Although we have the same concept, our compositions are very contrasting when they are side by side. My composition is made of three parts; a mask that protects you from inhaling tear gas, safety goggles that magnetize together to protect your eyes, and a hoodie that hides the rest of your face, all covered with holographic material. I chose to use holographic materials because it interferes with light and reflects back at you. However, I used a variety of different holographic materials to emphasize the sense of touch for each piece. With the use of color and shape, I created a harmonious, three-dimensional form that protects you from tear gas and the government.

Production

Sweatshirt Construction

Glasses Construction

Mask Construction

Final Composition

View project presentation

Overall, I really enjoyed how open-ended and creative this project was from the start. Now that we have been in a pandemic for a couple of years, it’s been interesting to see how our protections evolved. I used my own experiences and applied some of those ideas to begin my design process. However, once I got to the brainstorming stage, I got caught up in my ideas and had to sacrifice some of my craft. But in the end, it was fun to come up with my own concept and create a three-dimensional form for a pandemic that no one will ever experience.

Portfolio Project

View portfolio project