Mash-Up: Process

Research

I began this project by combining 15 nouns/adjectives and 15 verbs/adjectives to have a wide range of mashup words to explore.

Background inspiration research

I used these images as visual inspiration for my final layout.

View background inspiration links

›Exercises/Activities

The exercise for this assignment was to find a text that represented our personality and transform it into a 3D isometric illustration.

Iterations

I chose the word heepy because I had the most ideas that could illustrate the words hug and sleepy. Using the techniques from exercise one, I began sketching out different ways to communicate my new word.

Once I did the sketches, I created a font that felt soft and rounded to better support my word.

Manipulating the text

Manipulating the background

I had an idea that I thought would work but then when I started creating it my illustrating skills needed improvement and was something that I would like to explore in the future. It was taking too much focus away from my main objective and I was getting frustrated.

Production

Final construction detail

Final Poster

I really enjoyed the process of coming up with my own word. It was fun to get creative with the brainstorming and coming up with ways to visually bring the word to life. After going through this whole process I learned that planning and sketching out all my ideas before working in illustrator is an important step in the design process. I was excited to animate my words and spent a lot of my effort on that, however if I had planned the room out more in the beginning stages, I would’ve had added more details than I have now. I focused a lot of time on trying to illustrate little details like the hands and definitely need to learn how to draw body parts. In the future I would like to improve on the way I process my ideas before I start working on the final product.

Portfolio Project

View portfolio project