Shape Grammar: Process

Research

To help with creating my design I researched synonyms for wedged and dug deeper into principles to narrow it down to one for my final project.

Wedged: jam, squeeze, pack, force

Balance: stability, structure, aesthetically pleasing, symmetrical?, equal in weight

Pattern: repetition, adds visual interest, focus on content, don’t want it too complicated

>Exercises/Activities

To begin the process of this exercise, I experimented with the different sizes of shapes and then traced over them to create new shapes.

View exercise iterations

After picking my shapes, I created compositions both digitally and physically for the final outcome that activated static and dynamic qualities. By creating the digital compositions first, it made it easier to transfer them physically while also getting the same effect.

Iterations

I began exploring the idea of pattern and/or balance while also trying to create a wedged concept through triangles and squares.

View all iterations

Production

Final Composition

This project gave me a lot of freedom to do what I wanted but found myself getting away from the main objective. I continually referred back the instructions in order to stay on track. One part I struggled with was being able to communicate the descriptive state while also using the principle. But once I simplified things I was able to accomplish a design I was happy with.

I found the construction process a bit more challenging than digital. I could make corrections easily in illustrator, but in the hand construction process my mistakes were more time consuming. With practice and trial and error, I found a method that was more efficient for me.

Portfolio Project

View portfolio project