Patterning and Abstractions: Process

Research

Abstraction Research:

I began this project by collecting 20 images (10 man-made/10 human-made) and analyzed each form by using my line drawing techniques and digital skills.

First Row: Original Images

Second Row: Proportion/Size

Third Row: Direction/Line

Fourth Row: Component/Shapes

Fifth Row: Value

View abstraction sources

Mandala Research:

I was having a hard time communicating visual rhythm in my composition so I did research for inspiration.

Rhythm in design is using a repetition of patterns and evenly spaced/angles lines. Having variety between the spacing of lines will create a flowing rhythm as well as suggest a movement for the eye to follow.

View mandala source

Color Research:

Analogous: color schemes are color combinations made up of those that are next to each other on the color wheel. These create a visually pleasing and calming design.

Split Complimentary: compromised of two colors that are opposite one another on the color wheel as well as immediately next to them. These create a good contrast and balance between different colors.

View color source

›Exercises/Activities

I used rhythm as my compositional principle by combining my umbrella and ocean wave abstractions. By using the basic shape of the forms, I was able to construct them together to enhance movement.

Iterations

Mandala and Grey Scale Iterations

To start my final mandala composition, I experimented with the radial, grid, and mirror tool to create different templates in illustrator.

Once I chose my final template, I began combining my natural and synthetic abstractions that would create visual rhythm.

View other iterations

The more I manipulated the design, I was drifting away from my main principle being rhythm. While using the same ideas from my first mandala draft, I was able to create a more rhythmic design by doing additional research and experimenting with visual rhythm.

Color Iterations

Using my grey scale value, I experimented with different translations by using related color application. Since my values of grey are very similar, I chose to use an analogous color scheme for my first color iteration.

I chose to use a split complimentary color scheme for my second color iteration because it created more contrast in my design while also creating a sense of  harmony.

Production

I was happy with how my final mandala design evolved but I changed some minor details to make it feel complete.

After the group discussions I received positive feedback that helped revise my final piece. I used illustrator to soften the hard edges where the triangles and the waves met. Below is the grey scale example of where I show a close up. I went back in and darkened the center of the waves to give it more depth as well as lightened up the center.

Final Design

Each composition creates a different feeling when placed side by side. This project taught me a lot about the process of getting to the best solution for my goals. That sometimes that a design that I like may look good but doesn’t always meet the initial goal. The more I experiment in these projects, I am learning to continually remind myself of the objectives for the assignment.

I’ve enjoyed learning new tools and techniques in illustrator that have made the design process easier. Although I’ve used illustrator in the past for basic ideas, I never knew all the shortcuts I could use to manipulate my designs.

Portfolio Project

View portfolio project