Dynamic Pages: Process

Research

To begin this project, my partner and I researched genres of music that we found interesting.

>Exercises/Activities

In this exercise, I explored how to make different types of paper mechanisms. I researched videos that were focused on pop up books and others that were more focused on pull tabs.

View video tutorial links

Iterations

Sketches

View other sketches

Stop Motion

To practice with stop motion, I used random objects and recorded them in the app, Stop Motion, on my iphone.

Test 1

Test 2

Stop motion test 1 video

Stop motion test 2 video

Illustrator Files

To get a better idea of what each frame would look like, I started working in illustrator and created layers to visually see my ideas.

Iteration 1

Iteration 2

Iteration 3

Iteration 4

After making a variety of iterations, I chose to use this one for my final project but changed a few things.

Iteration 1 video link

Iteration 2 video link

Iteration 3 video link

Iteration 4 video link

Concept Statement

My overall goal for this project is to use stop-motion animation and paper construction elements to emphasize the principle movement. After my partner and I collaboratively chose a song, we chose different five second portions that both correlate with the idea of disruption. Since the project is meant to be abstract, I am using different shapes and colors to communicate a crowded yet powerful composition. My main objective is to visually illustrate this narrative by using the principles; scale, repetition, and balance along with the element of contrast. I split the song into sections to communicate the feeling I get from each part. The beginning of the song feels packed and crammed which is why I chose to make the squares and triangles pointy as they move inward, leaving no space. The circle gets larger as it absorbs more shapes as well as turns into a darker shade of purple. Once the beat drops, the circle continues to get larger, representing that it’s gaining more power, however, the edges of the shapes burst out and are now rounded making the composition feel whole. 

Production

Illustrator

Before filming my final stop-motion video, I continued to use illustrator as a guide for each frame. I decided to manipulate the shapes, making them pointy in the first half and then rounded after the beat drop.

Recording

Using the app, Stop Motion, I was able to film my whole video in a few simple steps. The app put all the frames together and had a guide on the screen to show you where you left off.

In app I went through each frame and adjusted the lighting.

Before Editing

After Editing

Final Stop-Motion Video

This project introduced me to a new type of media that can be used to communicate a narrative. At the beginning of this project, I was having a hard time taking the feeling I get from my song and illustrating it in an abstract form. This project was very much based on a concept. I found that there was a lack of communication between my partner and I which made our compositions in-cohesive. This made developing my concept harder and very late in my process. I designed a lot of iterations that were focused more on the beat of the song rather than the emotion. It was a way of thinking that I wasn’t used to but once I broke the song up into sections, I created a animation that illustrated a crowded composition to a powerful one.

Portfolio Project

View portfolio project