Living on Campus

by Kayleigh Metz

A huge part of college is campus housing. I know I wanted to experience what it was like to really live on my own, and I also knew I wanted to be a Buckeye. When I visited Ohio State ATI, we toured the campus housing complex, Applewood Village. ATI students live in on-campus apartments located in Applewood Village! The apartments have a full kitchen and plenty of cabinet space for food. They even have living rooms to hang out in with all of your friends. I knew living in the apartments would involve cooking and cleaning and all that good stuff, but I also needed it to feel like home. Luckily, campus housing here has provided me with a home-away-from-home feeling.

Leaving home was a little scary, but I was excited for the road ahead. I met plenty of people here and always have a place to go if I want to get out of the apartment. My friends and I started doing dinner together every night. We all help and chip in with whatever we’re cooking, or even if we want to order pizza together. People I know from back home had a Super Bowl party on Sunday, and we cooked on the grill on our back patio while someone else was fixing nachos and cheese in a crockpot. “Family night,” as we call it, is one of our favorite things at ATI.

During the day when we need a snack, you can usually find us at the café here at ATI, Café Carmen. After our early morning classes or labs, we stop and get breakfast—like home fries or breakfast sandwiches, or sometimes something as simple as fruit loops and milk. Before our afternoon classes, we all meet up for lunch. Our favorites at the café are the chicken tenders and cheese fries, General Tso chicken, and the chicken patty sandwich. When you’re in a hurry, you can even take it to go so you can have a snack in class. Or you can take it back to your apartment or to the library to eat and study! Although Café Carmen isn’t open for dinner, there are plenty of ways to eat on campus, off campus, or with your friends!