In The Field Friday: Haley Marcum

Written By Lexi Troyer

Haley Marcum, from Wooster , Ohio, completed her first two years of college at Ohio State ATI this past May and is now transitioning to the Columbus campus this fall to continue taking classes towards her bachelor’s degree in forestry, fisheries, and wildlife. She is spending her summer interning at the USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station in Delaware, Ohio, where she focuses on breeding trees that are resistant to invasive insects or diseases. An internship was not required before her transition to the Columbus campus, but it was a good opportunity that came her way and one that she could not pass up.

Haley credits Ohio State ATI in preparing her for the transition to Columbus and giving her a solid educational foundation before beginning her internship. She says, “ATI gave me knowledge, especially in plant identification and the impact that the soil has on the things around it. I also got a lot of networking opportunities while at ATI, like working in the entomology lab as a research assistant doing invasive studies.”

Haley also commends the faculty at ATI for not only connecting her with her major and internship but supporting her as well. She remarks, “The Second-Year Transformational Experience Program at ATI funded my internship by covering the cost of living, including groceries and the clothes/gear needed for my internship to work outside.”

Haley is also grateful to Ohio State ATI for providing her with valuable field experience and helping her secure an outdoor job while she was at ATI, as she arrived without any prior field experience. She says, “ATI gave me experience, especially like working in the entomology lab. My skill set was improved by class material, talking to faculty, and working outdoors.”