Repetition + Reflection

My favorite part of the day was viewing and sketching at the PreColumbian Art Museum. Something that I noticed and found very interesting was that there was a common theme of repetition in the exhibits. When I first walked into the courtyard there was the large hanging ombré display. It was a repetition of squares gradually going from light pink to purple and then back to light pink. When looking below the exhibit I noticed it’s reflection in the glass on the ground which reinforced the idea of repetition.

Reflection of hanging display

Moving along into another exhibit, we came across an infinity mirror. It was cool to play around with how the light changes when you look into the mirror from different angles; it fades from yellow to green in the position I took my picture from. This repetition of the mirror was a lot like the hanging display from earlier.

Infinity mirror

The last place I visited in the museum was the basement. This was my favorite part because the dim lights and quiet made it very calm to sketch in. I noticed that there was also repetition here because all of the chemamulles statues looked similar, all of the various vases where together in long rows, and the case filled with the quipu had many repetitive patterns. Below I have a sketch of the repetitive pattern of the quipu, some of my favorite bowls/vases, and the chemamulle statues.

Sketch of the Minera Escondida exhibit