Sad to Say Goodbye to Santiago!

A full day of classes completed and fully immersed in Columbus, OH, I can safely say that my time in Santiago was well spent. It feels strange being thrown right back into my regular routine after being in a totally new place and a culture foreign to my own. After leaving the airport, I had lunch with my mother and attempting to put into words and pictures just how meaningful this trip was to me was practically impossible. Never being abroad before, I had no idea what to expect and was even scared to go through customs for the first time! I surprised myself with just how much I pushed myself and allowed myself to fully embrace all of this newness and I am very proud of everything I got out of the trip.

I am a creature of habit. I wake up at the crack of dawn everyday, eat the same foods, go to bed at the same time every night, I live my life like clockwork. This trip threw my routine for a loop, and through it was challenging at first, the break was much needed and allowed me to enjoy the food and culture more than I could’ve ever imagined. I had no expectations when it came to meeting others on the trip as well, but so quickly the entire group became close and I met people in various years and bonded with people in my own year, I feel like we all have this new unspoken connection that will last a lifetime and I’m so grateful to have gotten to know all of these people.

Santiago was unlike anywhere I have ever traveled to. I am still working on adjusting to the bitter weather, bland dining hall food, and identical brick architecture that Columbus is full of. Chile was vibrant and no two buildings looked alike, it was stimulating and thought provoking. I loved the colorful pedestrian streets and unity between landscape and the built environment in areas such as Valpariso, Cerra San Cristobal, and our day trip to Cajun de Mapio. Overall, I will remember this trip forever and it has hugely impacted my education and life!