Colin’s pre-departure post

Having prepared so much for this trip, I don’t really think it feels like it’s happening. I often feel like this before big trips, but I think this one feels especially odd because I haven’t traveled with a group since Sophomore year of high school. Also, these last couple days have been crazy; trying to spend time with people before I leave, do all the school work I need to do (including prepare for a review I’ll be missing), and prepare for the trip at the same time has been a lot. In the end, though, it’s a push that has been challenging in a good way, and I’m excited to relax now.

I think first and foremost, I’m excited for the free time we have. I really appreciate the mix of presecribed activities and open time incorporated in this trip. To me, it gives both the opportunity to see the sights-and maybe learn something about from someone who knows- but also explore on our own. This exploration is really important to travel and is also a time I’m really excited to take some photos. I like taking street photos, and being in a large group can sometimes alter the dynamic of that.

Oh yeah, and the food and architecture doesn’t hurt as well. The benedictine monastery is the architecture project I am most excited about, and parque Bicentenario is the landscape project I am most interested in. Pictures (usually) don’t do these places justice and its the atmosphere that adds so much.