SNAP-Ed Program Assistant
Ohio State University Extension, Highland County
- Look in your cabinets and see what you already have. Then use those items to help make out meals for the rest of the week. Do this as a family. The more input everyone gives, the more they will enjoy the meals. When planning meals, remember to try and include all five food groups. Fruits, Dairy, Protein, Grains and Vegetables.
- Include meals that you can combine food groups. Look up easy recipes online. Soup and stews are a great way to add more vegetables and grains while using less meat proteins which are expensive. If your family struggles with eating dairy and fruits, put low-fat yogurt and a can of fruit in the mixer, then freeze for a cold treat.
- Before going to the grocery ALWAYS make out your grocery list and stick to it. Stay out of aisles that don’t contain items on your list. If your budget allows, add ONE item that your family loves that you haven’t had for a while.
- Check for sales and coupons online and in the paper.
- Make meals a positive time together. Encourage everyone to help and enjoy this time together.
Below is a fun recipe that is easy to make:
Scrambled Eggs in a Mug
Servings 1 | Prep time 5 mins. | Total time 7 mins.
Equipment: Microwave-safe mug or small bowl, Cutting board
Utensils: Fork or whisk, knife
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 ½ tablespoons low-fat milk
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
¼ cup fresh, diced, mixed vegetables (halved grape tomatoes, broccoli, peppers and onion)
½ piece of bread torn into small pieces (optional)
1 tablespoon shredded cheese (e.g., cheddar cheese, mozzarella, etc.)
Total Fat 12g
Total Carbs 12g
- Before you begin, wash your hands, surfaces, utensils, and produce.
- In a microwave-safe mug or bowl, microwave butter for 10 seconds or just until melted. Add egg, salt, and pepper and whisk vigorously until thoroughly combined and egg white is incorporated.
- Add vegetables, bread (if using), and shredded cheese and stir all together. Make sure ingredients are evenly dispersed and have not settled to bottom of mug.
- Place mug or bowl into microwave and cook on high for one minute.
- Remove mug or bowl, stir with a fork, and microwave on high for an additional minute. Serve immediately.