Brooke Beam, PhD
Agriculture and Natural Resources/Community Development Extension Educator
Ohio State University Extension, Highland County
July 8, 2021
If you, or someone you know, has a BQA certification that needs to be renewed, there is an opportunity to recertify this coming Friday, July 16, 2021, at the Highland County Chamber of Commerce’s Ag is Everyone’s Business event. Tickets are $5 for presale, $7 at the gate. Tickets include a breakfast of either a sausage or bacon sandwich, donuts, and a selection of beverages. Tickets are available through the Highland County Chamber of Commerce at 937-393-1111.
Three years ago, we held several BQA certification programs in Highland County. In total, 811 beef producers attended these programs to learn about quality assurance practices in the beef industry. These certifications will be expiring later in 2021.
There may be additional BQA dates scheduled later this year or in 2022, but they have not been scheduled yet. Other options to recertify include taking an online recertification course via bqa.org.
In addition to BQA certifications at the Ag is Everyone’s Business event, there are other speakers who will discuss a variety of topics relevant to Highland County landowners and farmers. There are also workshops planned for youth who are exhibiting or are planning to exhibit livestock. This family friendly program offers something for agricultural producers of all ages.
For more information about the Ag is Everyone’s Business event, contact the Highland County Chamber of Commerce at 937-393-111. For more information about OSU Extension programming, contact the Highland County Extension Office at 937-393-1918.
Now is your chance to purchase Canter’s Cave 4-H Camp items. Different delivery options are available. Orders must be placed by August 2, 2021.
2021 Ohio State Fair Swine Dept. Rules and Information
The 2021 Ohio State Fair Livestock department rules have been posted at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock/
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SWINE EXHIBITORS:
- Ohio State Fair will be a ractopamine free fair.
- THERE MAY BE TESTING FOR RACTOPAMINE AT ALL SESSIONS
- Exhibitor Affidavit for the Market Barrow Show will be required
- Market Barrows will be required to have an 840 Tag. It is preferred that they be the EID (Electronic Identification) 840 Tags but non-EID tags will be accepted this in 2021.
- These should be placed in the pig from the breeder they originate from, and if possible, please have them placed in the RIGHT EAR.
- If you do not have one, you will want to work with your local vet to obtain one.
- All swine must be tagged with an 840 tag.
- All exhibitors must have a premise ID (this is based on the location the pigs were raised, so the same premise ID will cover all siblings).
- Please go to https://agri.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/oda/divisions/animal-health/animal+id/premise-registration-form-fillable840 tags for getting a premise ID, please talk to your veterinarian.
- All Market Exhibitors will be required to enter parent/guardian PQA Certification ID#at the time of entry.
- Remember, if the parent/guardian completed this last year, they are good for 3 years and can use the certification ID# they received last year (or within 3 years)
- Email Kathy Bruynis (firstname.lastname@example.org) as she can enroll you in the PQA online class. She will need the following: Name of adult taking the class; birthdate; address; phone number; email; and farm name.