All species except horses will have a skill-a-thon on Saturday, August 12 9am-12pm noon at the Fulton County Fairgrounds. Youth will be proctored by the Skillathon Coordinators and volunteers while they take their respective species tests. Remember, participating in Skill-A-Thon competition is an optional activity, but is required to be eligible for OME/OSE.
- All Skillathons are open to any Fulton County 4-H member, age 8 and in the 3rd grade, or 9 years old and older regardless of grade level, to age 18 as of January 1, 2023, and FFA members.
- You do not have to exhibit a particular species to participate in that species Skillathon.
- Skillathons will be held on Saturday, August 12, 2023 9am-12pm at the Fulton County Fairgrounds (Beef, Sheep, Swine, Dairy-Spangler Arena; Goats, Rabbits, Poultry, Dogs-Sale Arena).
- Note: To be eligible for Outstanding Market or Species Exhibitor, youth MUST compete in their species in-person, Fulton County skillathon. OSF skillathon participation (in-person or virtual) will not count.
SPECIES STUDY TOPICS & RESOURCES
Study topics will match the Ohio State Fair Skillathon in-person stations. Looking for more information on Skillathons, including study resources and materials? Check online for details and updates at https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/ohio-4-h-skillathons. Don’t forget, you may also check out species Learning Lab Kits from the Fulton County OSU Extension Office now through July 21. Reserve a kit today by calling 419-337-9210!
*Dairy beef feeder exhibitors may choose whether they want to participate competitively in the Dairy or Beef skillathon. Exhibitors will indicate their choice upon sign-in at the species skillathon station.
- Meat Science, Environmental Stewardship, Health & Treatment, Nutrition & Digestion
- Meat Science, Health & Treatment, Nutrition & Digestion, Animal Welfare & Handling
- Meat Science, Animal Welfare & Handling, Reproduction, Health & Treatment
- Nutrition & Digestion, Health & Treatment, Reproduction, Animal Handling & Crop Management
- Meat Science, Health & Treatment, Nutrition & Digestion, Animal Handling
- Animal Welfare & Handling, Reproduction, Digestion, Health & Treatment
- Nutrition & Animal Handling, Eggs, Animal Welfare, Medication & Treatment
- Anatomy, Health & Hazards, Breeds, Parasites
If you are a 4-H volunteer interested in volunteering to coordinate any of the species skillathons, please contact Sara Lewis at email@example.com to see if you fit the desired position description. Parents of participants are not preferred.
Outstanding Market or Species Exhibitor Contest
Any Junior Fair youth exhibiting beef, sheep, swine, dairy, goat, rabbit, poultry or dog projects can participate in this contest. To be competitive, an exhibitor must participate in their species’ skillathon, showmanship, and market or determined grade classes (best placing used for points if youth exhibits in multiple classes for the same species). Points are awarded to placement within each class. Registration is on-site at the Skillathons. For each species, cash awards will be granted to first, second, and third place, pending financial availability. Skillathon winners will be announced in each Skillathon age division, pending availability. OME winners will sell third in the sale order and will receive a $1,000 award, pending financial availability. The OME/OSE winner is not eligible in the following year in the same species, but will become eligible again after one year.
**Please NOTE: We are currently seeking Skillathon and OME/OSE financial sponsorship for other species not currently sponsored. If this is something you or someone you know, including local businesses, please contact Sara Lewis (Lewis.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kendall Lovejoy (email@example.com). We will be unable to monetarily support these species without financial sponsorship.