Creative Writing Submissions Due July 9th at 4:30 p.m.at the OSU Extension
Judging: Wednesday before fair, 9:30 a.m. / Location: Youth Building on Fairgrounds Rules:
1. All Creative Writing written pieces must be submitted to OSU Extension Shelby County by 4:30 p.m. on July 9.
Submission of a written work for judging will constitute entry in the sub-class.
2. Each entry is to be typed or printed neatly on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Stories should be double spaced. Poems may be single spaced. The entrant’s name, class, and sub-class should be included on the cover page. The entrant’s last name along with a page number should be on each page. Submit each entry in a 9 x 12 envelope. Clearly mark entrant’s name, class and sub-class on the upper left corner of the envelope. Do not use any type of folder. A paper clip or staple is sufficient to keep the pages together.
3. Criteria used in evaluating entries include: 1) title, 2) appeal, 3) story-telling impact, 4) creativity, and 5) transition. Interviews will relate to the entry and probe project knowledge, writing technique, and story development, etc.
4. Project books will be required at interviews.
5. Interviews will be held on Wednesday before Fair at 9:30 a.m. No make-up interviews will be held.
6. There will be no Creative Writing judging at the OSF.
7.Creative Writing awards will be announced at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday of Fair in the Youth Building. Each entry will receive an “A” or “B” ribbon and premium at the judges’ discretion. One “Outstanding of the Day” winner will be recognized in each sub-class with three or more entries. One “Best of Class” winner will be recognized in each class. Overall “Best Junior” and “Best Senior” awards and Overall “Reserve Junior” and “Reserve Senior” will also be presented.
CLASS: 28 WRITING AND REPORTING FOR TEENAGERS SUBCLASSES
A. Feature Story, Senior, Non-fiction human interest (maximum 1,000 words)
B. News Story, Senior, Non-fiction news story (maximum 1,000 words)
CLASS: 29 THE WRITER IN YOU SUBCLASSES
A. Rhymed Poetry, Junior- Submit a collection of 3 poems.
B. Rhymed Poetry, Senior – Submit a collection of 3 poems.
C. Free Style Poetry, Junior – Submit a collection of 3 poems.
D. Free Style Poetry, Senior – Submit a collection of 3poems.
E. Short Story, Junior (Maximum 2,000 words)
F. Short Story, Senior (Maximum 2,000 words)
G. Essay, Junior, non-fiction (Maximum 500 words)
H. Essay, Senior, non-fiction (Maximum 500 words)