Learning How to Effectively Say No to Opportunities

Reminder: No is a complete sentence. 

Although practicing and learning how to say no is relevant and necessary in all aspects of our lives, this example will focus primarily on professional and academic settings.  

Let’s say one day you are at work, and you receive an email from your supervisor with an optional request that exceeds what you are able or willing to contribute at the time. For example, the request could be something like serving on an additional committee, picking up an extra shift, or attending an optional event or training. Maybe a classmate wants you to take on some additional components of a group project beyond what you had initially agreed upon.  

First evaluate the request. Are you interested in exploring the possibility of supporting or engaging in the opportunity in a smaller, or different, capacity? If you are, you can suggest this and work on a compromise. However, if you cannot – or are not interested – in being involved, that is completely valid. 

Once you have determined that you cannot take on the additional opportunity, it is important to effectively communicate this. Just like with boundary-setting, it can be helpful to practice saying no! 

If it feels comfortable for you, you can begin your response by acknowledging the positive aspects of the request. For example, “This sounds like a great opportunity!” or “Thank you for thinking of me!” 

Next, provide a brief – yet direct – explanation for turning down the request. Here’s a possible example (keeping in mind that this may look different depending on your own personal preference, communication style, and reason for saying no): “Unfortunately, I am currently at capacity with my workload, and I am unable to take on any additional projects at this time.” If you are interested in providing support in another capacity or smaller role, you can always offer that as well. Additionally, if you know of someone else who may be interested in the opportunity, you could refer or recommend them.  

Altogether, saying no can look something like this: “Thank you for thinking of me! This sounds like a great opportunity. Unfortunately, I am currently at capacity with my workload, and I am unable to take on any additional projects at this time.” 

If saying no and setting boundaries is new to you, you can always practice and start out small! Check out these articles for more tips and strategies: 

-Lucy Hennon, Graduate Student Assistant