Unique Short North Dishes You MUST Try! 

One of the many perks of living on campus at Ohio State is being so close to the vibrant and lively Short North! However, its vast selection of enticing restaurants and menus to choose from can be very daunting. I have compiled a few tasty spots and highlighted a unique dish from each location to get you started. The dishes below are all nutrient and flavorpacked!  

Marcella’s 

A unique option that Marcella’s offers is a build your own meat and cheese appetizer tray. With six meat options (capicola, prosciutto, bresaola, coppa, sopressata, and salami) and six cheese options (mozzarella, taleggio, fontina, goat cheese, pecorino toscano, and gorgonzola dolce) the possible combinations are endless! Usually, when I think of Italian cuisine I think of carbs, carbs and more carbs, but with a tray of meats and cheeses you are sure to eat a great amount of protein. Oh, also, if you have never heard of some of the meats and cheeses mentioned, don’t worry. There are English descriptions below the Italian for all of them!  

Goody Boy 

“An avocado? Thanks,” if you just read that in the adorable vine boys voice then let’s be friends. But, seriously, Goody Boy has a dish called “Fresh Stuffed Avocado Halves,” and let me tell youthey are delicious. Avocado, quinoa, feta and grilled pita all come with this unique option. From avocado’s healthy fats and high fiber, to quinoas great source of all nine essential amino acids, to feta’s great protein content, you will walk away from eating this feeling satisfyingly full! 

Bakersfield   

A Taco Tuesday recommendation? Bakersfield’s menu made my life pretty difficult by being absolutely filled with a plethora of mouth-watering, nutrition-packed taco choices. However, the “Al Pastor” really stuck out. Why? Well, it’s a taco with chile marinated pork, pineapple, pickled white onion, and cilantro. The pineapple is what caught my eye. I mean you’d be eating fruit, vegetables, grains, and protein all in one meal. I’m not going to lie to you and say that I love pineapple on pizza, however this pineapple combo makes me want to hop on a COTA bus and head to the Short North ASAP! 

Del Mar SoCal Kitchen  

Brussel sprouts. Ten-year-old me just shivered in disgust. Growing up, brussels sprouts always had a negative stigma. Twenty-year-old me is a changed woman. A nice charred plate of brussels sprouts never disappoints. Del Mar serves a divine dish that has brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, salsa verde, cashews, and feta. I ordered this dish for my meal and every bite was filled with a perfect combination of flavors. Sweet potatoes are rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. Brussels sprouts are one of the best plant sources for omega-3 fatty acids, and cashews are a great source of protein. Clearly your body will be thanking you after you enjoy this spectacular dish.  

Remember, most restaurants are currently offering curbside pick-up or delivery options, so you can enjoy these dishes from the safety of your home. Hopefully my recommendations will be put to good use for your next GNO or date night! 

Don’t forget you can meet with a Nutrition Coach, for free, to discuss your unique nutritional needs.  

– Emily Grieco, Nutrition Wellness Ambassador