Everything You Need to Know About… Coffee! 

Just the smell of coffee, even as a senior in high school, was disgusting to me. I would not dare go near the repulsive liquid. Then I entered college. My life changed forever. More specifically, my feelings towards coffee changed forever. My body craves at least one cup of coffee every morning or it simply will not function. Maybe I am being dramatic, but you get the point.  

With coronavirus looming and stress at an all-time high, the need for coffee increases. When I had coronavirus, I was EXHAUSTED. I could barely get up to do anything, let alone my mounds of schoolwork that needed to be completed. Many other peers I have talked to that tested positive had the exact same symptom.  

Drowsiness is one of the most common symptoms of COVID-19. Obviously, sleeping and resting in order to let your body heal is the best thing you can do for yourself, but you and I both know that OChem and Calculus wait for no one.  One of the many perks of THE Ohio State campus is the constant availability and close proximity of coffee.  

The menu and vast list of options can be confusing; hopefully you will understand exactly what you are putting in your body after reading this short explanation!  

Café Americano 

The difference between an Americano and regular brewed coffee has nothing to do with what is in the cup, but rather how the water and coffee are combined. In a regular cup of brewed coffee, the water is dripped through the coffee grounds, but for an Americano hot water is just poured directly into an espresso shot.  

Café Latte 

A latte is mainly coffee and milk. Obviously, it can vary with preference, but proportionally lattes usually consist of one-third espresso, two-thirds steamed milk and a top cap of foam. One thing to note about lattes and other drinks that contain milk is that there are options. Almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, skim or 2% milk are a few that can be tried. Each has their own unique nutritional values.  

Café Cappuccino 

There is usually a lot of confusion around the difference between a cappuccino and latte. They consist of the same ingredients (coffee and steamed milk) but the difference lies in the proportion. Cappuccinos are smaller than lattes and have more coffee than milk.  

Mocha, White Mocha, & Buckeye Mocha 

Mocha means that it is a chocolateflavored coffee. A white mocha is white chocolate flavored coffee and a Buckeye Mocha is chocolate peanut butter flavored coffee 

From changing your milk preference, to adding extra flavor or espresso shots, the possibilities are truly endless. I encourage you to experiment with different flavors so that you can find your goto order!  

Cheers!

Resources: 

-By Emily Grieco, Nutrition Wellness Ambassador