Making a Grocery List: How to Shop Quickly on a Budget 

Moving into our own apartments can be daunting because it means we need to cook for ourselves. Living on campus, we are on a meal plan that is pre-budgeted and prepared for us. However, when we move out on our own, we must create our own budget and decide what we are eating.

One thing that helps me with this is writing a grocery list throughout the week when I think of something I need. As students, we have limited time to grocery shop, and it can be a burden during busy weeks. One way to speed up the process is to always have a list. I love to plan my grocery lists based on the meals I will eat in a week. I typically plan to meal prep at least four meals for the week and buy easy items for quick breakfasts and lunches.

There are so many resources online to start planning your grocery lists. My favorite now is the ChooseMyPlate list that can be edited straight from the link found below. MyPlate has a great “grocery game plan” list that maps out items by food group: fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, protein, and other. This is helpful because it then, also, organizes the list based on item location in the grocery store.

Before I leave for the store, I always reorganize my fridge and pantry section to know what I currently have. The MyPlate list is easy to edit so I can then cross off the items I already have and write in the ones that I may need. I always aim to buy at least two fruits and two vegetables for the week.

A great money-saving hack is to buy frozen or canned fruits and vegetables because they last forever and are very affordable. Buying grains in bulk is an easy way to save money as well. Many grocery stores now have zero-waste bulk sections where you can bring your own jar or fill a reusable bag. This is an easy and affordable way to save money and help the planet. When it comes to shopping for protein, a great tip is to freeze raw meat or tofu if you are not going to consume it in a week.

Making a grocery list can be fun! I love to plan mine out by looking at social media accounts for recipe inspiration. There are great accounts on Instagram geared towards eating on a college budget. If you bullet journal, you can include your list on a beautifully made journal page each week. Just don’t forgot to add in a few treats and pick foods that will make you happy!

Resources:

-Hannah Blumenfeld, Nutrition Wellness Ambassador