Podcast Recommendations

If you are like me, you are getting a little burnt out at this point looking at screens all the time. You also may be feeling the weather getting warmer where you are, and wanting to be outside more. One way to boost multiple dimensions of your wellness is to check out a new podcast series. I have found that listening to podcasts is a great way to stretch my mind – particularly when doing tasks such as walking the dog, cooking dinner, or cleaning my space. I thought I would share with you five great podcasts that I have been tuning in to recently!

• Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard : This is hands down one of my favorite podcasts to listen to for quite a while now. Dax and Monica delve in to the messiness of being human with some phenomenal guests in a variety of industries. You are sure to find an enticing interview in the 200+ episodes – some of my favorites include Alicia Keyes, Hasan Minhaj, and Chelsea Handler! Another awesome thing? Dax Shepard is a person in long term recovery who often shares how recovery has shaped his life – which is near and dear to me as the coordinator of the Collegiate Recovery Community!

• Unlocking Us with Brene Brown: From the woman who gave us the Power of Vulnerability TED Talk as well as some truly wonderful books about connection, Brene Brown’s new podcast is definitely worth checking out. I’ve found more than one book recommendation that I can’t wait to pick up due to listening to this podcast!

• WorkLife with Adam Grant: Missing your job, or currently job searching? I highly recommend organizational psychologist Adam Grant’s perspective on the work place. Each episode follows some extraordinary people and companies thinking outside the box to create a work life worth your time. I find myself constantly coming back to some of the episodes and bringing ideas I have learned through this series to my own work place.

• Last Seen: In to true crime podcasts but looking for something a little less heavy during this time? I could not get enough of this one! Last Seen follows the case of the largest unresolved art heist in history, which took place at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. They also have a great website with additional content that will leave you reeling- and maybe wanting to change your major to art detective.

• Finding Fred: Finally, this last podcast on my list takes a look at the life of Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. There has been an uptick in Mr. Rogers related works recently, and I thoroughly enjoyed taking a deeper dive in to the life of a remarkable thinker when it came to teaching children about hard topics. If you are also looking for some good in the world, feel free to start here!

-Mackenzie Hogan, Wellness Coordinator – Collegiate Recovery Program