What is the Junior Fair Board?
The Ohio State Fair Junior Fair Board is made up of Ohio’s best and brightest young leaders, hand-picked to contribute to the success of the Ohio State Fair each year. Selected to represent their respective youth organizations, these students serve on behalf of thousands of students across Ohio. Goals of the Junior Fair Board include:
- To serve the people of the Ohio State Fair
- To interact with fairgoers and provide the best experience possible
- To help other agencies and organizations with their tasks, booths, etc. at the fair
- To gain networking experiences and special opportunities
Which skills should a Junior Fair Board member have?
Ohio State Fair Junior Fair Board members are dedicated leaders with outstanding characteristics such as:
- Public Speaking
What are the requirements?
In addition to being an outstanding leader, prospective members should meet the following general criteria:
- 16-20 years old
- Currently a member of 4-H, FFA, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, or Farm Bureau
- Highly involved members in their organization
- Significant accomplishments within the organization (i.e. competition at the state and/or national level, leadership experiences, community service/volunteer experiences, etc.)
- Leadership experience with the potential and desire to continue to grow as a leader
- Very responsible, respectful, and professional
- Members are only eligible to serve one two-year term on the JFB representing one organization
What is the time commitment?
Junior Fair Board members commit approximately 2 weeks of time to the Ohio State Fair, arriving the Monday prior to the Fair’s Wednesday opening (this year, they would arrive on Monday, July 24, prior to the Fair’s Wednesday, July 26 opening, and will return home on Sunday, Aug. 6).
First year Junior Fair Board members are paid a flat-rate stipend for their service; returning members will receive a higher stipend for their second year of service.
Where will I stay?
Housing, as well as complimentary meals, are provided by the Ohio State Fair. All Junior Fair Board members will stay in dormitories located at the Ohio State Fair in the Rhodes Center building.
How do I apply?
Visit ohiostatefair.com/jfb and submit applications through the portal.
Learn More at our Informational Webinar on Wednesday, February 1
This year, the Ohio State Fair will host an informational webinar with current Junior Fair Board leaders, past presidents, and advisors to share information on what we look for in members, what you can expect, and more. Can’t join on Feb. 1? No worries – a recorded version of the video will be available after the webinar at ohiostatefair.com/jfb.