Lab members with Dr. Claude Steele at the 2019 Weary Symposium.
Welcome to the Self, Stereotypes, and Social Norms Laboratory at The Ohio State University! Under the direction of Steve Spencer, we study processes related to the self, identity, and motivation, particularly how these processes affect stereotyping and prejudice.
Here are examples of questions we’re interested in:
- How can we leverage psychological interventions to improve women’s representation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math fields?
- How do social norms affect people’s likelihood of confronting prejudiced behavior?
- How do college students find purpose in their day-to-day lives?
- How do Black women’s identities interact to affect intentions to advocate for social change?
- How does confirming a negative stereotype affect motivation and performance?
If you’re interested in learning more about our work, visit our Research Page!
If you are an undergraduate interested in becoming a research assistant (PSYCH 4998 or volunteer), click here!
If you are interested in working with Dr. Spencer in graduate school, click here!