Welcome to the Self, Stereotypes, and Social Norms Laboratory at The Ohio State University! Under the direction of Dr. Steven Spencer, we study processes related to the self and motivation, particularly how these processes affect stereotyping and prejudice.
Here are examples of questions we’re interested in:
- How can we leverage psychological interventions to improve women’s representation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math fields?
- How can empathy backfire in intergroup relations?
- How do majority and minority groups differ in their views about prejudice and race relations?
- How do day-to-day demands cause us to lose sight of our broader goals?
- How does confirming a negative stereotype affect motivation and performance?
If you’re interested in learning more about our work, visit our Research Page!
If you are an undergraduate interested in becoming a research assistant (PSYCH 4998 or volunteer), click here!